or Connect

Posts by sirena rose

Hi Dr. Sears,   How great that this is an active and recent thread! I had a similar question regarding the current campaign in Mexico to give all kids under age five oral drops for polio. I think the brand is Sabin.   My question is: if my 10 month old daughter is already getting the scheduled vaccine called Pentavalente by Sanofipasteur (the current vaccine is for pertussis, tetanus, diptheria, polio and Hib) do I need to get her the drops as well? It just seems like...
What are (or have been) some of your favorite ways that your baby has signaled that they needed to use the potty?   My daughter has just started crawling and goes over to her little potty and rocks it back and forth. It makes this grating sound on the floor and about 90% of the time she is telling us she has to go! We love this new development!   Also, starting around 2 and a half months when she had to go, she would get this look on her face that we dubbed "pee-pee...
I'm in Mexico too, in Morelos! Bienvenida!   My daughter is now 6 months old and we started when she was 2 days old. I would say don't get discouraged by crying. A lot of newborns cry when they eliminate, and I found that my daughter would always cry when I changed her diaper anyway, so I eventually just decided that at least with EC I could keep her in a dry diaper longer and avoid diaper rash. Her first "social" smile was right after an EC pee, so I think she was ok...
I like this thread. It's great to hear how diverse our babies' sleep schedule are. They are individuals, just like adults.   Up until about 6 weeks/2 months my daughter went to sleep with us, which was between 11PM and 8PM depending on how tired we were that day.   Then she switched to wanting to go to sleep around dusk (6:30PM here) give or take an hour...now with the time change her self-set bedtime is 5:30PM, give or take an hour. I try to be home with her by this...
There was some mention of it in LLL information I had - I don't remember specifically what or where. And during my pregnancy, many of the web searches (Google or Pinterest) that I did on natural parenting linked me up to articles and forum posts on the Mothering site.    But, I only signed up after I discovered the EC forum. It's great to have support when practicing non-mainstream child raising. 
Thanks, everyone, for all of your input on this topic. I still haven't had a chance to talk to the doctor, but I have a file of articles about extended breastfeeding I am going to give him.   Ooh, all the biting stories- ouch! I haven't experienced that yet with my little one, but I will take the different pieces of advice on how to deal and train babe not to bite.   And yes, I have heard about "bottle-rot" and how the breast is *NOT* the same... possibly this is where...
I brought this up with my local La Leche League leader and she said perhaps it was the biting issue as well. She also suggested I print off WHO and AAP information about 2-year and 1-year breastfeeding recommendations and give them to my doctor.   JenVose, I definitely feel the same as you - I want to help our doctor give correct information to other mom-baby pairs about weaning/breastfeeding. I hope our next conversation on the matter goes well.
Mama Amie - the doctor was definitely talking about full on weaning (not just solids) whenever the teeth come in.   Maybe this is confusion with bottle use or pacifier use? I know I've heard about thumbsucking causing crooked teeth, but regular breastfeeding? Is this part of the myth?    I am just interested in learning about the root of this myth because I would like to start a conversation with the doctor. Hopefully I can change his mind!
Second that...nurse and potty at the same time.   But if any of you have photos, I would really appreciate seeing this maneuver...I just can't seem to get the angle right with the potty between my legs and then I get all hunched over and my back hurts. And then the pees seems to shoot out onto the bed...well, I'll just say I am not quite a pro yet. 
Our family friend and trusted *super* naturopathic doctor recently told me that I need to eventually wean my now 2 month old when her teeth come in. I was shocked, and honestly so shocked that I didn't really even process what he said as the reason afterwards. I think he cited some study or something, but where are these studies?   It just seems weird to me because if her teeth come in early (say 4 or 5 months) she will obviously still need milk. But how can a...