or Connect

Posts by JenVose

I second the Pandora idea - there's a lot of great stuff to be found there. I had planned to set up an MP3 player with labor music in advance for my first, and was using Pandora to identify relaxing music I liked, but never got around to it. In retrospect, I didn't miss it at all ... the only music I used in labor was on the ride to the birthing center (around 2 hours), and then I didn't want the instrumentals/relaxing music I thought I would ... I wanted music to sing...
Personally, I try to “ignore” that two week wait and anything I feel one way or another. When we were TTC #1, I recall that just two months before we got that BFP, I had an odd metallic taste in my mouth starting about four days after ovulation – nothing tasted right, I had an increased sense of smell, my boobs were incredibly tender, I was definitely hormonal. I was certain I was pregnant! I spent my days scouring every pregnancy/pre-pregnancy/TTC website I knew. I kept...
I do agree that a lot of the rhetoric surrounding natural childbirth can be hurtful and oppressive to women who are in a different position and simply are not able to make the decision.   Personally, I choose to have my children with as little intervention as necessary, because I believe that is the best decision for my baby and for our family. However, as frightened as I am by the thought of needing a caesarean or other interventions, I would accept them if they...
I’d definitely be seeking another ped. I agree with the previous poster who said that proportionally, your child looks “right.” I absolutely HATE seeing people with super-skinny kids who mention that their child is on a special or restricted diet because a ped suggested they were overweight. While it may be an issue for a child who is in the 25th percentile for height to be in the 95th for weight (and notice, I said may be, not definitely), it is perfectly reasonable for a...
Aw, thinks Mareseatoats. Not a whole lot of independent research involved, I work for a small independent bottled water company that also offer water filtration options locally and DH has been a licensed technician to install the larger systems in the past, so I'm somewhat familiar.
In both of my pregnancies, it has started pretty early and is much more unpleasant earlier on. By second trimester, it's still odd, but not necessarily unpleasant.
Just to clarify, Lulu, we're not talking about "cry it out" methods or putting baby down crying in order to accomplish tasks. What we're talking about is simply "taking a breather" so you don't get to the overwhelmed point where you are having the negative thoughts. My personal belief is that it's much healthier for mother and baby for the mother to take a short break to recompose if it can help prevent her getting to the point where she feels overwhelmed, however, the...
To look at it from a different perspective - are her brothers hurting her? I understand that they're a bit young to understand correction and I hesitate to use the word discipline since what they would be doing at this point isn't intentional behavior, but it can be quite difficult for a youngster to understand that a baby isn't doing things to intentionally hurt and it may seem that her brothers are doing these same things to her with no consequences. My DD is 17 months,...
Yes, completely okay. I see a major distinction between "cry it out" methods, where a parent doesn't repond and leaves baby to cry rather than trying to soothe, and trying to soothe, being unsuccessful, and taking a breather to recollect. If there is no one else to watch baby and you are feeling overwhelmed, I think you absolutely have to sometimes place baby in a safe spot and go somewhere you can't hear the cry, even if that means you need to take a shower or in some...
The 18 month old who drinks up to six cans of Coke a day was a direct reference to the video in the first post. He didn't consume much else (and when he did, it was fast food or junk and he obviously had major sleep issues from the caffeine/sugar that he was bombarded with daily).