or Connect

Posts by JenVose

So glad that I found this thread, it has been very encouraging to hear perspectives of a number of women who have gotten what they wanted from birth in a hospital, and helpful to hear from those who had issues with their hospital birth.   My first was born in a free-standing birthing center, but as she was will be just under 2 when I am due, and the birthing center was almost two hours away, this seemed like a major set-back in this pregnancy. This time, I am planning on...
My midwife offered exams starting around 36 weeks (which I accepted, although I knew they weren’t a very accurate measure, I thought it was good to have that information as we were nearly 2 hours away from the birth center and I wanted to know for when labor began whether I might already be fully dilated or not so as to have an idea of how quickly things might progress – as it was, I was only 2 cm and 50 percent effaced in my first check in labor). But it was always an...
Becklist, it’s a different office and a different subject matter, so I don’t know if it will be helpful to you or not, but in seeing some of the previous posts on here about the difficulty of receiving passports, I was reminded of the difficulty of receiving my daughter’s SS card. She was born at a free-standing birth center, not even a home birth, but we received all sorts of trouble. Apparently our state had recently changed the birth certificate and application (as part...
I have really been wondering about how I was going to come out to those who are less close to me this pregnancy, and just came up with my “Facebook official” status today. I plan to get DH to take some pics of me and our daughter this weekend, because I was 17 weeks pregnant Thursday and she will be 17 months old tomorrow. It just clicked in my head today how kind of cool that was. So I’ll take a good pic where maybe my bump will be at least a little obvious, and add text...
I agree. While I think it can be important to listen to our care providers on weight gain (and it can be important information for them to track, as it can be an indicator of issues such as excess fluid, etc.); as with so many other factors of pregnancy, weight gain is only useful as a piece of the overall picture of a pregnancy. In most cases, your weight gain will be "what's needed." With my first pregnancy, I started in the obese category and gained around 35 pounds by...
First, just a few words to help try to put your mind at ease – like the other posters, I don’t believe if you have stopped drug use now that it has been pointed out to you, that there will be any further reason for DSS or CPS to be involved in this issue or take the baby away from you. I think likely the reason why the doctor was so severe in the first place was to shock and scare you into quitting, if you had not already. I’m very sorry you had to go through that at...
How handy is DH? As the water is “technically” safe, and problems are mainly with iron/odor, if the two of you were thinking of replacing the hot water heater yourselves, you could probably get basic supplies for a filtration system for similar cost, and it wouldn’t be much harder to install (if at all). If the water issue truly isn’t “that bad” you could probably get by with a filter like this – it’s still pretty thorough. It would just go on the water line as it came...
While it may seem a awkward situation to approach with the mother, you did mention in your post that you are certain that this boy's mother does what she can at home. One approach I would use would be to speak with the mother, non-confrontationally, with a simple "I'm not sure how to best handle this in the classroom, do you have any advice?" From my friends who are dealing with Asperger's in their children, I think most of them would love for a teacher to come to them...
Also, if you're just looking to separate and space them out, but give all vacs, Dr. Davis does keep the separate vaccines (he was out of the polio for one dose, so we ended up one dose behind on polio). But he can get pushy about getting all of the vaccines at some point. He is OK with completely skipping varicella and rotovirus, but has gotten pretty pushy on all the rest. We take a somewhat different stance on vacs in our house - while I know a lot of families avoid...
Thank you, Sphinxy! The experience has definitely raised my awareness, especially since at the time I was so upset by all the differences that I didn’t even think straight to ask (or demand, if necessary) that I see the screen during the US. I am glad that it really was just an issue of hurt feelings and disappointment this time, but I will come out of it ready to be an advocate for myself during this pregnancy and in the future when I just don’t feel like things are...