or Connect

Posts by mackysmama

Thanks everyone! She's coming this Friday. I totally forgot about x-mas shopping! That is a GREAT thing to do without the kids. And, I have things to get at the homeschool store but don't like taking the kids. Walking around Target could take a few hours. Going to the library to pick out books for me alounds sound nice. Okay, I think I know where to start. Thanks for the kickstart.
I am a homeschooling, SAHM mother to a 6 year old and 3 year old. We don't have family around so it is basically me and the kids all day, every day. We had a babysitter who used to come so my partner and I could go out on weekends but she went to college. Now, I have the opportunity to have someone come for a few hours a week, every week. It sounds great! I'm always wanting just a few hours to myself. But, now that I can have it, I'm totally lost about what I am...
Quote: Originally Posted by *Lisa* We went with these for DD: http://www.onlyheartsclub.com/ Oh, I bet my 3 yo would like those. We do have some strawberry shortcake but I find them to be kind of sexualized and skimpy. They aren't what the used to be.
Oh, yes, we had this issue. Poor kitty. I tried and tried and tried to teach my dd "gentle touch." It didn't work - she was too young to understand and didn't have the impulse control. I realized it was something we had to get through until she outgrew it (which she did - she's very gentle with him now.) We installed a cat door on our utility room so I could put the cat in there to give him a break (maybe the cat thought he was getting a time-out but I think he was...
You can see a big list on THIS thread. Books by Roald Dahl, E.B. White, Beverly Cleary are all good choices. This is a good book to get from the library, to help you develop a list. Ambleside has great book suggestions as done Sonlight. For Sonlight, I suggest getting their catalog and reading through their lists. They identify which ones have a Christian focus if you need to separate. Good luck. We love read-alouds!
Thank you all for the reassurance. It is very helpful to hear from others who are, or have, very fast readers that you figured out a way to combine both fast reading and comprehension. I really just needed that pat on the back, you know? Especially as others IRL are questioning me on his reading behavior, suggesting he has some sort of problem with comprehension because of his speed and suggesting that I make him read to me out-loud or do other directed reading...
Quote: Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom I do come from the perspective of a very fast reader and am the mother of another extremely quick reader. I think that, if he were not comprehending what he reads, he wouldn't devote so much time to it. It's dull to stare at a book you don't understand. My dd1 is 6.5 and devours books. Last night, I watched her read an entire Oz book in one sitting (a little less than an hour). Curious, I started asking her some...
I know this may be a strange question, but I am concerned that my son is reading too fast and I'd like to hear from others who have BTDT. He wasn't taught how to read and, like many kids, it clicked when he was ready. From what I recall, he started reading between 5.5 and 6. He's now almost 6.5 and reads constantly. But, like I said, I am concerned that he is reading too fast. For example, last night he read Nate the Great Goes Undercover in less than 15 minutes. The...
I bought it for my 3 year old, not to use formally but so she would have something that looked like what her brother has (he's 6 so is using Singapore 2A right now.) Every now and then she'll ask to do a lesson and we'll do it. It looks like a good program but I don't think she needs something structured until she is much older (at least 6). She seems to "learn" more from playing with the manipulatives on her own but she enjoys the Singapore Early Bird every now and then.
Quote: Originally Posted by koru Do you have a carrier? Could you put your little one on your back for a while? : My daughter is older now, a little over 3, but she still wants lots of attention when I am working with my son. I highly recommend getting something like a Beco or Kozy or some other carrier that allows you to comfortably wear her on your back. Then, just remain standing. I used to read standing up pacing the room with her on...