or Connect

Posts by mackysmama

Have lots of books available for her that are at her reading level (better, a variety of reading levels) so she can pick up a book that she is interested in and start reading.
You can see pics and a description of our work room here. This was just after we set it up but before we started using it. Now, it is very messy with lots of art work on the walls and crayon marks all over the tables. But, we love it!
Thanks everyone! My partner leaves today and I am NERVOUS. I have a list of things for us to do - half price books, playground, fly kites, get a new toy from Target (or dollar store!), etc. I have to remember the bathtub - they both like to play in the tub. They have a hotel pool but it is freezing so they've been swimming in the hot tub. I am trying to not spend too much time in the hotel room and I have relaxed my standards on TV so they've been watching a DVD almost...
I need some support and/or suggestions on how to maintain my gentle discipline principles as we live in a hotel because we had to evacuate our home due to Hurricane Ike. I am in a hotel with my partner, our 6 year old boy and our 3 year old girl, about 3 hours from our home. We've had a pretty good week and have tried to make a vacation of it. But, we are now getting stir crazy and my patience is wearing thin. My partner will be returning to Houston on Sunday (maybe...
We are living in a hotel in Austin (Hutto actually). We stayed for the Hurricane, cleaned up our house (which was not damaged, just lots of trees down), and got on the road on Saturday, when it was still windy. We've been here since then waiting for our power to come back on. Both of my kids were sick and I thought we'd all be more comfortable here - and we are! My partner is going to rent a car to head back to Houston on Sunday so she can get to work and I'll stay here...
Quote: Originally Posted by VanessaS I realized that my kids and I are closet gifties... That is SO me (well, about my kids, not myself). Sometimes it is quite amusing, like if someone assumes my son doesn't know how to read or is just starting to work on basic math skills. My son, thankfully, responds very gracefully, often without much interest. I find it especially amusing when these comments come from the type of parent you described (as...
My 6 year old and 3 year are still in the room with us. They each have their own beds but they are pushed up against our king bed. Sometimes they stay in their beds, sometimes not. They go to sleep together in the big bed and then we roll them into their beds when we go to sleep. Works well for us. When my dd was younger, she could not tolerate sleeping next to anyone (from about 9 months to about 2 years) so she was in a crib in our room and it wasn't flush against...
This may be a little OT, but I wonder if her anxiety is related to her giftedness? My son, who is six, has serious issues with fear, so much so that we have also sought play therapy. It was generally concluded that he understands too much. For example, when he sees a picture of an animal being attacked, he feels an enormous amount of empathy for the animal, understands how that impacts her babies, etc. and weeps with grief. He's just a six year old boy so doesn't have...
we have the gel ant farm and our ants are ordered but haven't arrived yet. I read about them first and it is normal for them to die - they have a very short life span. My understanding is that it is not because of how they are being kept but because, well, they die. Also, mine came with a stick so I can scoop out the dead ants if they don't bring them to the top. We'll see how my kids handle it. We are currently growing some tadpoles and released our first toad...
Nope, I don't grade. I sit with him while he works on things so I know what areas he is needing more practice with. He did ask to take a test so we did that. I had to photocopy pages from his singapore book and staple them together because he insisted that was what tests were. I have NO idea where he got this idea from but I did it. Then, I went through and circled all the ones that were right. There were a couple that he got wrong but we went through them and then I...