or Connect

Posts by mackysmama

My friend told her children when they figured out the whole santa thing "there are two types of people: those who believe in Santa and those who help others believe in Santa." I thought that was very sweet. My friend didn't want to lie to her son about Santa (btw, I don't consider it lying anymore than agreeing with them that they'll be getting a letter from Hogwarts when they are eleven or that they are going to grow up and work with dragons) so she told him that...
You can see pics of our new workroom and our playroom HERE on my blog. Suggestions are: tons of art supplies, washable a clear vinyl hanging shoe rack to hold supplies stackable containers with clear fronts to hold lots of different kinds of paper, coloring books, etc. (these aren't pictured in our room but I bought some when they went on sale at Target) a kid sized worktable that you mind if it gets ruined another kid sized worktable not meant for art but...
We set up a homeschool room (AKA workroom because it is also used for my kids non-stop art work, whatever projects they've got going, etc.). You can see pics HERE. We love it. But, I will say that it is unnecessary and we could absolutely function well without it. We don't need it but we enjoy having it.
Quote: Originally Posted by mangopassion I looked at your blog (CUTE!!) and I am wondering where you got the "holder of the workbooks"? I think I might need one of those! Oh, yes, that has been awesome! We got it at The Container Store. It is called a canvas magazine rack/holder. It was about $15 - well worth the price. It holds a lot, is very sturdy but it is very compact. We were originally going to put it on the side of a bookcase, which...
The first thing I thought was that he needs some protein in his system after a long day at school. Protein is magic food for my kids - it totally transforms them when they are having a hard time. Also, I'm wondering if he is reacting to artificial food colorings and additives? Pringles, Gatorade, etc. I'm not saying these are horrible foods but some kids react very, very badly to artificial additives. Was the Gatorade made with red dye? Or, maybe he has some food...
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurie The curriculum we are using has no worksheets, except for limited ones in math. What curriculum are you using? My own de-schooling is a daily struggle for me.
One of the best things in our work room is a clear vinyl shoe rack that holds our art supplies. It makes clean-up very easy and makes the materials very accessible to the kids. You can see pics of our homeschool room at my blog. - it's in one of the first posts and there's a pic of the shoe rack.
My kids sound a lot like the OPs- with the sensory issues and all. Most nights, I try to find something related to the main meal for them to eat. So, if we're having tofu fajitas, the kids plates will have shredded cheese, avocado, tortillas, etc. I'll put a little of the main course on their plates for them to try but it often goes uneaten (though my 6 year is trying things now.) Or, I'll cook up a little of the tofu in a way that I know they'll like. Most of our meals...
Quote: Originally Posted by TexasSuz Actually SW Austin is very conservative. Have you looked north off of Research or north in the Burnet/Braker area? Those areas are lower in price also and are fairly liberal. Good luck searching. That's good to know about SW Austin. I have this major pet peeve about "liberal cities" being so expensive that liberal can't actually live there (my partner is in social service so she's liberal by day and...
I’ve spent LOTS of time on google maps and searching MLS databases and, honestly, it leaves me feeling discouraged. I really don’t want to spend over $200,000 on a house. We could go up to $250,000 but I just don’t like having a lot of debt. It was shocking to do a search in Allandale and then to do a search in Georgetown. It is quite clear that the money goes a lot farther in Georgetown. I also really like the idea of leaving the congestion of the city – we’ve had our...