or Connect

Posts by mackysmama

Am I understanding that your daughter is 3.5? At that point, I think reading books with lots of repetition, like Silly Sally, is all you need to be doing. Unless she is begging to learn more, and, in that case, she'll seek it out, reading to her is the best way to prepare her for future reading. I don't think Silly Sally is a "special" kind of reading book. It is just a lovely children's book written by Audrey Wood. She has some other really great books, along with...
I think a lot of what is done with manipulatives can be easily replicated with things around the house - beans, legos, etc. But, my kids like the specialness of their manipulatives. We use the sorting bears for my 3 year old and she really enjoys them. Yes, she could sort pasta by size or legos by color but she just loves the little bear families. We also use linking cubes, a big tackle box of plastic frogs and bugs, and cuisinarre rods (but not so much as my son finds...
I would ask her some more questions about why she wants to go to school. I think it isn't really school they want but something about school that they find interesting or intriguing, especially a child who hasn't been to school so doesn't really understand what it really is. Often, what they want can be met in other ways. Talk to her - does she want to ride the bus, does she want to go "back to school" shopping, does she want a backpack, does she want a lunch box, does...
My son is a very strict vegetarian. He also has enormous empathy for every living thing. I think he just gets it, you know? He understands, and has from a very young age, that to eat meat means an animal is killed and he just can't handle being a part of that.
Thanks for starting a new thread. Can I cut and paste the one I posted in the last one since I'm a newcomer and the intro. info. is there? It's HERE (#54). I'm wondering how many people are homeschooling traditionally school-aged kids (meaning kids ages 6+, I guess)?
I'm in! I am homeschooling my 6 year old. This is our first year doing more formal work and it has thrown me for a loop! We have known he was gifted since he was about 1 (recognizing numbers and their value) but, for reasons I am still struggling to understand, I have been resistant to the label and, thus, to "special" ways of doing things (though I have no problem saying he has Sensory Processing Disorder and seeking OT for that as well as making serious adjustments to...
Oh, thank you! I saw the 2nd thread but I'm looking more for emotional support on the homeschooling rather than curriculum support. I'm set with the curriculum but (except, of course, that I totally underestimated where he is and need to buy all new stuff.). Off to read through that first thread and add some items to my Amazon list.
I am homeschooling my 6 year old son. We have know since he was about 1 yo that he was gifted but we have chosen to "go with the flow" with it and follow his lead. Now that we are homeschooling more formally, I'm finding that I need to understand him more and how his brain works. I'm not looking for a book that will help me determine if he's gifted - it's very clear. I'm looking for a book that will support me in helping him. Any suggestions? Also, is there a...
I spent A LOT of time (way, way too much time) researching language arts programs for my precocious 6 year old. In the end, I decided on the less is more approach. For writing, we are using The Complete Writer: Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer. Link HERE. We've just finished our first week with it and I like it very much and so does my son. Don't tell any of the strict Well Trained Mind followers this, but I don't think the book is necessary. I skimmed it, got...
I have been there. Actually, my son is six, and we are still there. But, we've changed our expectations significantly over the years. We avoid large groups for more one-on-one interaction. We do a A LOT of prep work - talking a lot about what to expect, how to handle certain situations, etc. We are careful to not go to places with a lot of chaos (i.e. kids ). He is branching out more now, like taking a homeschool PE class but there are still meltdowns during it. It is...