or Connect

Posts by mackysmama

Quote: Originally Posted by Enudely In the past, she has just gone to bed when we do. I'm assuming from this that you are trying to get her to fall asleep sooner than you go to sleep and before she is used to falling asleep? I'm wondering if she just isn't tired when you want her to go to sleep. Has she cut out her nap or had any other change in her sleep schedule that would make her sleepier earlier than usual? There was NO way my children...
There isn't actually a permanent tattoo? Hmmm...that changes things. You brought up some interesting points. I think one of my concerns is that I'll get these results and feel this external pressure to do things differently, rather than going with the flow of my child, you know? Like, "oh, we should be homeschooling for longer hours, I should be covering more things, etc." But, I also realize that I keep him behind where he is, and I'm not sure why that is. Today...
I don't visit this board often, though it has been a very useful resource in the past. I have a gifted 6 year old son who is homeschooled. I have been resistant to testing because he wasn't school-aged and I didn't think a label would benefit us in any way. I see testing being very useful in a school setting, to help the child get the services they need. But lately I've been wondering if testing would allow ME to provide him with better services. On one hand, I think...
Quote: Originally Posted by chfriend I think we're unrelaxed unschoolers. laughup Quote: Originally Posted by BeccaSue1029 I"m pretty relaxed, we do use a few textbooks, but not for everything, and usually the kids pick what we do when (like we usually do math first to get it over with ) : I actually just wrote a big piece on this on my blog. It's called "Am I an Unschooler with a Math Book?" It talks a lot about...
Quote: Originally Posted by UUMom My kids and I were looking at it again this morning, all laughing. My 14 year old mentioned that the 3rd and 4th in the line- up are slackers. Those two don't have moveable arms so they did their best.
Quote: Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl We realize that at anytime our situation could change due to unforeseen circumstances and dd could end up needing to attend school. However, I homeschool like it is forever. I don't worry about matching state standards for every grade. We don't work at any particular grade level, we pick and choose resources based on subject, interest, strengths and weaknesses, areas that need work, or stuff that is just too fun...
Quote: Originally Posted by UUMom I'll look further when I can catch my breath over Playmobil Boot Camp. That's hilarious. I know! It was over the course of a day. We kept walking in and seeing different scenes. I'm not sure how many I missed. The unicorn keeping watch is really what got me the most!
Okay, so now I understand what wii fit is. Thank you. But, I still don't really get how the wii works with games that are not physical. Like, how do you play super mario brothers on it (the last video game I played, um, 20 years ago)?
um, don't flame me or call me really old, but what's the difference between a wii and a wii fit? Also, can you play "regular" games on a wii or just sports stuff? See, I am totally clueless. My DS, 6, would like a video game and we're thinking of getting one for x-mas. But, I hate video games but people keep telling me we should get wii but I have no idea why.
Honestly, at age 4, I wouldn't do anything structured or scheduled. I would fill the days with play, fun outings, paint, puzzles, games, etc. A four year old will learn so, so much by being read to and played with. Legos, puzzles, board games, etc. all teach so much at that age. Most veteran homeschoolers (I'm not one but I've used their wisdom) say that they wish they had done less formal work/schedules/etc. in the younger years. There's plenty of time.