or Connect

Posts by mackysmama

I think this is one of those things that is totally dependent on personality, and not at all reflective of one's commitment to homeschooling. You either find peace in the big picture or in the day-by-day. I would say I take it all day by day, with smaller focus on the current year and even smaller focus on the long-haul. I can't imagine committing to anything for the next 15 years. How am I suppose to know what the world will look like in 15 years? I think this approach...
Sure, I just started mine recently. It is HERE. I love when people leave me comments.
There are so many reasons and many of them have already been mentioned. I'll try to limit it to the top five for us: 1. My son has Sensory Processing Disorder as well as being gifted. I don't think the public school system in Texas can meet those needs simultaneously (or, individually). We cannot afford the private schools that *may* be able to meet those needs. There is so much more to say about both of these issues but you'll have to trust me. 2. I want my...
Well, they are in the midst of back-to-school supplies sale. I got a 50 pack of crayola washable markers for $5 and a box of 120 crayola crayons for $5. They have so much in the back-to-school section right now - glue, glue sticks, pencils, dry erase markers, crayons, markers, colored pencils, tape refills, composition books, staples, etc. They also have games: yahtzee, uno, chess, checkers, cranium brand games (cariboo, etc.). And they often have good puzzles, but...
Just wanted to let you know that there is a yahoo group called SonlightSecular. It has a lot of traffic with people who are very helpful, as well as files that gives suggestions on how to secularize it. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonlightsecular/
We have a laminated world map and a laminated U.S. Map from Rainbow Resources. They are looked at often. http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodl...&category=4724
I think that is a pretty typical cost, but it adds up when you are paying for more than one child. We pay $40 a month at the Y for a twice a week homeschool PE class, an hour per class. But, three kids would be $120. On average, classes range from $5-$15 per hour per kid.
I spent lots of time researching different methods, programs, etc. I pulled different things from different sources (i.e. read-alouds from Sonlight and Ambleside, history via The Well Trained Mind, etc.). I used the Well Trained Mind to get some ideas, I used the Sonlight website to look at sample programs (we're secular but their website is very helpful!), I searched forums, homeschool reviews, blogs, etc. for ideas. I can't imagine working with a boxed curriculum...
Papo has some nice figures - knights, pirates, cowboys, etc. My son likes those as well as his Schleich knights. As for more action-y action figure, Rescue Heros are nice for younger kids. There are no weapons, nothing scary, and they are easy to manipulate. I think there may be a TV show but we've never seen it.
We're in a major metropolitan area with several museums, a zoo, science centers, arboretums, etc. Ideally, we'll do a "field trip" with just me and my kids, or maybe another family, once a week. We are members at the zoo and the museum of natural science so we go to both of those a lot. We don't do many outings with homeschool groups because I think my kids get more out of the trips when it is just us. Now, this sounds like a lot but it is easier for us since we are close...