or Connect

Posts by Achelois

We used a new graduate for our first home birth last year. Incredibly, as we found out later, she was only 23 - she seemed to be way, way beyond her years. We were initially nervous about using a new grad - we'd initially booked with a part time midwife/midwifery lecturer at the same practice - but our fears were unfounded. Her knowledge was right up to date, she wasn't afraid to get a second opinion if she was ever unsure, and she'd already sat in on a number of home...
I'm further South or I'd love to be your weird friend! You're not Janet then? You remind me a lot of Janet. You can't be all that out there if you have doppelgangers. Funny thing is, as strange as it may sound, part of the problem is that I'm terrified of it passing - I'm terrified of it all passing while I'm in this horrible funk, and missing out on their babyhood. I don't want to 'not have' this baby so much as I just want to put it all on hold, or push rewind. I'm not...
  Thanks Selissa...your story really helps. I'm so glad your eldest resumed nursing - how old was he, and how long did he go without nursing before the baby was born? I probably am nutritionally deficient - I tend to lose weight during my pregnancies, at least during the first few months, due to the morning sickness, so I've spent four months or so being very malnourished (I have the weight to lose, but the nutritional deficiencies still worry me). I have some RRL tea -...
Thank you. It really helps hearing stories like this. It's been one of the hardest things about all of this - hating the breastfeeding, then having him wean. It's been a big breeding ground for resentment since he's SO little. From the time he was about 10 months (and I was about 18 weeks pregnant) there was virtually nothing there and we were heavily relying on donor milk. He started losing weight when I was about 8 weeks pregnant. The last few weeks he's been having a...
Ha, yes I do live in NZ - I'm thinking I know you from elsewhere? I've just had zinc suggested to me. I have a horrid liquid supplement crystallising in the bathroom cabinet somewhere - I'll have to see if I can choke it down on top of the heartburn, which is what is keeping me up at the moment. I have an omega 3 supplement...probably not taking enough. Does anyone even have doulas in NZ? I've never seen them advertise. The only way in which this pregnancy was remotely...
I am depressed, but I had a long, long and unsuccessful history with antidepressants in my teens and 20s - something I don't want to go back to. My options are pretty limited. I'm outside of the USA too, unfortunately :(
I have three previous pregnancies & births behind me - my first a stillbirth at 29 weeks, my second with my 9-year-old (both of these to my former fiance), a 14-month-old to my husband and am currently 34 weeks pregnant. This whole pregnancy has been a nightmare - not because I didn't want another baby with my husband, someday, and not because it's been especially complicated, because it hasn't, but it's completely changed our lives - for the worse. It's destroyed my...
  Agreed. While some shoulder dystocias 'just happen', I think that the shoulder dystocia that killed my uncle was most likely iatrogenic. When we talk about the dangers of home birth or unassisted birth, it helps to consider the risks that go along with common hospital interventions, just to put things in perspective.
I think redirecting nervous people definitely helps. My mother pissed me off when she didn't have tasks to do like boiling water or making coffee. Some people do well under pressure, some don't. My husband said it helped him greatly, as a 'mechanical' sort of person, to have the job of inflating and filling the birth pool, getting the temp right & keeping it that way...heck, he's an engineer and beforehand he was calculating fill rates and whether the beams would support...
  True that, but then, I want people to know what I *really* want, not just what I might say I want in the moment. I screamed for drugs I didn't want the first time around, and was duly given them, instead of being supported through transition. The side effects sucked :(