or Connect

Posts by kekki

Does anybody know whether the healthcare providers at Webster Family Physicians apply the Waldorf child development beliefs to their practice? Thanks.
I homeschool one and I totally agree that it's easy to get-up-and-go.  Regular peer interaction is a challenge for us, though. There are a lot of homeschooling groups where we live but he has some special needs and I don't always know how to advocate for him and get him involved to the point where he's feeling safe, accepted and competent. We're working at it, though, trying to set up playdates and get him involved in social skills and communication therapy and that kind...
My son has a MERLD diagnosis and I'd love to get together with other families who are struggling with this. My son would love more playdates with similar children.  I live in the St. Louis, Missouri metropolitan area. Please feel free to PM me.   (RiverTam, I'm new here and I don't yet have the required minimum # of posts to be able to PM somebody, otherwise I'd PM you. I'd love to hear more about your experiences. We're really struggling with finding appropriate...
Also, there is a doctor who's now in Toronto who founded a center for Hypotonia at Johns Hopkins. Unfortunately, the hypotonia center had to closed when he moved. But the doctor seems very knowledgeable about hypotonia, and I was told by his former assistant that many of the geneticists who remained at Hopkins are familiar with his work and with his approach.   Here is his contact info: Dr. Ronald Cohn,...
My 9-year-old is similar. Benign hypotonia with fatigue, particularly between meals. Can't walk very far.  I appreciate the other suggestions here. I will look into Ferritin.   Have you investigated mitochondrial dysfunction? That seems to result in energy regulation issues. We've looked into it a little bit but it seems like not many physicians are knowledgeable about it.     There is some concern among some doctors that the manifestation of autistic-like...
The decision to medicate a child is an extremely difficult one to make. I'm struggling with that decision, too.   Re. risperidone, I've read that it can interfere with endocrine function. There are reports of adolescent boys developing breasts and lactating after having been on resperidone for a few years. There are some lawsuits pending about this issue. I don't have a good sense of whether or not these lawsuits were initiated by litigious-happy attorneys or what....
MujerMamaMismo, how is everything going? Did your child attend a Reggio school?   Would you mind my asking what kind of sensory work you did with your child? I'm not sure what working hard on sensory stuff means. My son has some sensory issues and we've done what I think is sensory integration therapy and unfortunately, I don't see major changes.   I'm a bit disheartened but I hope it worked for you.
I'm new here but I recently came across this thread and I feel like I could've written it.  I have a 9-year-old son and we are also struggling with an ASD-vs.-MERLD diagnosis.   My son is significantly behind his age-mates in terms of expressive language. With children who are on his communicative level, he's very social, but he tends to shy away from peers who are more verbally communicative than he is. He's also anxious and a perfectionist, and he manifests his...
Hi, I'm kekki. I'm a married mom of a 9-year-old boy, whom I love dearly. He has some special needs and we homeschool.   I'm really looking forward to participating here - it seems like a great community.