or Connect

Posts by research babe

pamplona-  My posted response to the OP was in no way meant to be personal to your situation.  If a child is aggressively coming at you to try and hurt you during a tantrum then, yes, you do need to defend yourself and/or put space between them and yourself.   I don't happen to like the idea of locking a child outside the house.  It feels super personal *to me*.  I had relatives I stayed with as a young kid who did this anytime they cleaned the house- not as punishment...
I don't think it's okay to shut a 4 yo outside or downstairs.  While it may be appropriate to put the child in her room or another safe place or better yet, have the parent move to a different place so the *parent* has an opportunity to calm down to avoid violence or harshness, young children need help processing their big emotions, especially anger.  If you haven't noticed it already, be prepared that your kids will start to reflect you and your spouses shortcomings-...
Hey BabySmurf- I think this is my new favorite site.    I love it!  Thanks for mentioning it.Lori
Oh, Lulu!  Sounds like you need a big ((((HUG)))).  Somehow when all the other mom's are talking about parenting to a new mom, it seems like it never get's said how that sweet little bundle of joy can also drive you to your worst out of sheer desperation and exasperation!  But rest assured, every mom has to face her inner "ugly" sooner or later.  There are no perfect moms just like there are no perfect children.  I want to share a book that has encouraged me a lot... Hope...
I get that CC is not a curriculum but a set of standards- but I was referring to the curriculum a lot of schools have adopted in order to be CC compliant- meaning that CC compliant curriculum that's available right now, leaves something to be desired.  However, if I could say something positive about an educational site I like which states they are also CC compliant, it would be www.Starfall.com  I haven't used their subscription service, just the free parts they make...
I've done some reading on the Common Core but I don't use it as a guide for learning because I homeschool my kids in a state that gives me freedom to choose.  Some of the methods I've read about are just down right cofangled and don't make logical sense to me as an adult- let alone my kids.  And I'm not the only one.  Elementary level questions asked to experts in their field couldn't even understand some of the questions, let alone form an answer.  I've heard reports that...
I did not start out wearing my babies but I wore my 3rd baby.  With my other 2 kids, I worried about their dented heads from leaving them in the car seat, in the swing, in the bed, in the bouncer etc...  With the third one, I worried a little bit about milestones like rolling over and crawling- but I never had to worry about happiness.  She was, by far, the most content, happiest baby and I know it's because I kept her where she was designed to be, close to my heart, skin...
There's an adage we've all heard which says, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."  It seems sensible that when you are at someone else's home, if something you do makes them uncomfortable, you should respect that and stop.  It would be great if she could see the flip side and respect your differences and if she's that uncomfortable or has issues that viewing you nurse creates with her son, take her kids out of the room in your home (which is all she ever asked for.)   I...
By golly, I think you're onto something!  :-)  I spent a lot of time on coaxing my first born into a scheduled sleep because that's what I thought was suppose to do to be a good mom... it was mainly the influences I had at the time... and I think some kids DO respond to schedules if that fits their personality type... but by the 3rd born I ditched the schedule in favor of baby-wearing and co-sleeping and everyone was MUCH happier.  No more crying it out and pushing baby...