or Connect

Posts by research babe

Just wanted to mention a great little book I started reading called, "Hope for the Weary Mom".  You can buy a kindle version on Amazon for 3.99 or a hardcopy for just 4:50.  It is written from a Christian perspective so it does talk about God and use scripture heavily- but not in a preachy way.  The authors are *real* moms in the trenches today.  The tell their stories  of being pushed to the brink of sanity with the challenges of being a mother and then also share how...
I understand what you're saying Good Enough Mom.  I do believe in setting boundaries, I absolutely do!  Perhaps that didn't come across clearly somehow.  What I was trying to get at in the statements you quoted was that given being raised in a different culture, these things are "normal" to her PIL.  It's true there is little that one can do to change someone else- so the best strategy is to flex and change where possible in ones self- as much as possible, to have a good...
I love, love, love Sonlight!  With Sonlight, you get a library of great literature and an instructor guide with detailed instructions for every day with your student.  It completely takes the "work" and preplanning out of home education and gives you the freedom to do and be with your child in the way that fits them best.... if you need more crafts, there are resources for that.  If you need more books, there are suggestions for that.  They really think of everything.  I'm...
"Big baby" is one of the most common threats OB's use to scare mom's into C-sections.  They want to give the ultrasound to substantiate the supposed "risk" in your mind.   Ultrasound can be off by up to 2 lbs either way... I have heard from women personally, a misdiagnosis of over 4 lbs via ultrasound- (someone had to be seriously missing that day.)  I also had that threat with my first 2 babies.  The first was 7lbs7oz.  The 2nd baby that the doctor was just SO sure was...
How awesome!  I wanted to walk out AMA with my 2nd birth but lacked the courage.  So wonderful to hear how you listened to your mommy instincts and they were right!  Many blessings to you for a peace-filled baby moon. Lori
When I gave birth I was around 300 lbs or more.  I'm not advocating that being that big is healthy or a good idea- it's much easier to move during labor with less weight on.  However, I think it's healthier for mom's of size to focus less on their weight and more on their nutrition.  Instead of thinking, "oh my gosh, I'm huge, I can't do this.  I must be broken because my body mass index is out of "normal" range!"  It would be better to consider how the "worry" is going to...
I am also a plus sized mom.  I was irritated by the same lack of consideration for sized moms with various providers.  http://plus-size-pregnancy.org/ has awesome, supportive and technical information on pregnancy for women of size that I found very helpful through my pregnancies.  Size bias is almost a disease itself among OB.s!  So you really have to advocate for yourself.  My 2nd baby's OB, who I met the day I went into labor after a failed attempt at homebirth, cut my...
Having "dated" a man from India and learned much about the culture there and also, dealt with boundary issues with in-laws (who doesn't?) I can sympathize with you.  You may be disgusted with your in-laws culture and/or choices in how they raised their son... but try to remember that they must have done something right, else you wouldn't have married him, right?  Coming from the perspective of two in-laws who are not long for this world, in the end, though it makes your...
With my first born, I let biting stop me from nursing because I was overwhelmed with yet another nursing challenge- so I bottle fed after 6 months of age.  Looking back, I really regret that and wish I had more knowledge and support to handle it without complete weaning.  With my 2nd born, I would tap her nose.  Not hard mind you but she didn't like that and she stopped right away never to take up the act again.  With my 3rd born, nothing I tried stopped the behavior......