or Connect

Posts by MelW

kerc, good luck with the cold. Across state closing of schools seems drastic. We had a "snow day" here in December that involved maybe 1/2" of snow and a -2C temperature- supposedly the roads were too icy for the buses, but by 9:30 in the morning it was sunny and glorious and I saw some kids playing in the snow in t-shirts. Our district has never heard of a 2 hour delay, apparently. My inner conspiracy theorist wants to chart the number of snow days that fall by day of the...
Yesterday I did the New York Times "scientific" 7-minute HIIT with the kids. It was a breeze compared to bootcamp, which is similar intervals, but more/longer. Tonight is bootcamp. The tenure-track job offer from UBC Okanagan just came. The salary offer and research start up fund look good (as does the teaching/research load, especially in the first two years with less teaching to support more writing/research). The relocation $ looks low, but workable. We have the...
Nic, congrats on the PR!!! This is your year!
Canadian Diabetes Association. Probably not very helpful for you, Geo... Both kids seem to have hit growth spurts. In the youngest this manifests as losing her sense of the margins of her body and crashing into things. The oldest just sleeps more and drags and complains about having to do anything remotely physical. Naturally I'm insisting they both get on bikes so I can run. Praying for minimal crashes and whining.
Subbing. Going to take down the tree and clean the house for the New Year.
Happy New Year! Checking in from the bottom bunk while I try to convince a tired-but-napped-in-the-car kid to sleep. Worked a 12 hour day today. I got snark from my manager for not working more, though she thought this was my first shift since August (5th, actually, and third in 8 days). Letting the negativity go to focus on the babies and the year ahead.
Привет блеск ("Hi sparkle", in Russian)!   Nic, I hope you're feeling much, much better soon.   Gaye, good luck with your first week of training, and the million errands, too.   My RR is mostly hikes with the kids and yesterday a trip to the pool (again with kids, so not great exercise). I keep hoping to get out for a run, but finding that the rhythm of our days is better if we're low-key until our afternoon expedition.   NRR- My husband still hasn't heard about...
Vent away, real. I was thinking of you and your IL's and wondering if they had kept up the tradition of giving dairy to your kids this year. Gah!! I love Ron Carlson's short stories, and come back to them repeatedly. I also love Alistair McLeod. Alice Munro spends the winters in my town, and I remember meeting her in the bookstore as a girl (she didn't come this winter, though the people she rented her house to got an early morning call from a reporter when the Nobel...
Plady, I love that your DH has an assistant to help him in with the gifts. Hooray for a Christmas that left everyone satisfied!   kerc, grading?! Not fair! I hope the New Year brings a lighter workload for you- it feels like you've been buried under work all fall.   Congrats to real and gay and anyone else who has been out and active over the holidays. I've only done a couple of hikes, but am itching to get my running shoes on and get out of the house. Thank goodness...
Hi to all!   Plady, I was in a similar dilemma with gifts in transit, though was luckily able to have my MIL bail me out with the "big" Santa gift of lego. For future reference, FedEx only on Fridays to my village (though daily to the adjacent town, so future FedEx parcels will be sent to MIL's house) AND because it snowed they didn't delivery last Friday. Luckily I could have it held at the depot and MIL was willing visiting friends nearby and willing to drive an extra...