or Connect

Posts by TXMomofFour

My 8 year old son (PDD-NOS, SPD, ADHD) is going on his third month taking Vayarin.  I have seen very good results.  He is also delayed in reading and math and has a receptive speech delay.  I can tell that his processing of information and giving a respond is faster.  He takes Focalin XR 10mg for the ADHD and impulse control.  We are now going without the Focalin on the weekends whereas before we never did because he would be non stop impulsive and bouncing off the walls....
Wanted to come back with an update - My son has been on Vayarin for almost two months now and I have to say I have seen some very good changes as far as his ability to focus and clarity when talking and ability to recall and convey events. I think it is helping with his memory issues, for instance he has been able to tell me exactly what has been in his lunch (I have been keeping track of what I pack and always mix it up). He has also remembered to bring his school agenda...
My son is 8.  His obsession started with dinosaurs, then evolved to sharks, then snakes and now mostly lizards and some snakes.  If he is outside he is constantly looking for lizards.  He is actually quite good about catching them.  On a good day he can catch up to 5.  He has a habitat with the lights and everything where he keeps a lizard or two at a time and feeds them crickets.  He loves to catch them and we research them on the internet.  He also has meltdowns and...
I wish his neurologist would have given us enough to start with 2 a day, but he was running low on samples.  We go back in 3 weeks so he wanted me to use 1 a day then he will write a script.   It is great to hear how well some have responded to this!  My son does not tolerate stimulants very well so I am hopeful the Vayarin will allow us to stop the Focalin.
Thanks for the feedback!  We are starting with one capsule a day as his doctor gave us samples for 3 weeks but only enough for once a day.  We go back in 3 weeks and he said if I wanted a prescription he would write it.  He said he has given it to quite a few parents but has not heard any great results yet, but agreed it was worth a try.
I have 4 kids, two who are adults and out of the house.  Oldest didn't have any special needs, second was ADD but it was easily controlled with Concerta.  As babies the oldest was a breeze, the second didn't sleep through the night until well over 18 months, but otherwise was an easy baby.  Then I had twins at age 40 and one turned out to be on the spectrum along with ADD and SPD.  When the twins were infants they were more work because there were two of them, but they...
I was very reluctant to get a diagnosis for my son.  I had a few people that gently suggested that he might be on the spectrum and I am now ashamed to say that it angered me and I was certain my son was not autistic!  His autism is mild so I was constantly searching for something else it could be.  I was of the mindset that I didn't want my child labeled.  I even had a friend who was a special ed teacher who warned me that if he was labeled it would always be there.  To...
Hello Moms!    I found this forum when searching for information on Vayarin.  I found a thread that was started last year but didn't have any information on long term use.   My 8 year old son is on the Autism spectrum (PDD-NOS) mild, and has ADD and sensory processing disorder.  He struggles with reading and math.  He currently takes Focalin XR 10mg to help him focus on his school work and help with impulse control.  We just started Kapvay in the evening.  I also...
I am a mother of four children, two adult sons who are out on their own and a set of boy/girl twins who are 8 years old.  My 8 year old son is on the Autism spectrum PDD-NOS and has ADD as well as sensory processing disorder.  Looking to connect with other mothers with special needs children.