or Connect

Posts by MayaT

Did you check the Real Milk website? This should give you some options on farms close to you, as well as some tips on what to look for if you visit the farm. http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/ Good luck!
I found this old thread after having experienced a similar situation.  I had to travel out of state for a meeting yesterday.  I flew with two different airlines and asked reps from both about a place to pump.  The first (Southwest Airlines) told me to use the family restroom, which at least was private although not very sanitary.  The second (Alaska Airlines) told me there were no options other than the women's restroom (these were different terminals in the same airport,...
I'm having the same problem. I cut out dairy and most grains due to some suspected food allergies in my 6-month old, who is nursing. I've basically been on a paleo diet for about four months. My weight has dropped to below pre-pregnancy weight and I was small to begin with, so am not comfortable losing any more weight. I've been using tropical oils (coconut, palm oil) for cooking and have not been eating lean meat (e.g. boneless, skinless), so am getting quite a bit of...
Just wanted to chime in with my personal experience - I had my first baby in April and prior to the pregnancy was also very slim/petite (5'4 and 19.0 BMI). My weight gain was within the normal range. Despite taking the recommended prenatal vitamins and having a mostly whole foods diet, my daughter was born with a minor birth defect that is thought to be related to nutrient deficiencies during pregnancy. Concern over my personal appearance became a very trivial issue...
Thank you all for the helpful information! I did add back the lunch time visit, and it actually seems to encourage her to take more from the bottles. She's still waking up a few times at night, but not as bad as before.
My 5-month old daughter has been in daycare for two months and she is eating very little throughout the day. She is exclusively breastfed and I provide pumped milk for her. She will only take about 5 or 6 oz from bottles during the day and then nurses a lot in the evening and wakes at least 4 times a night to nurse. She will take bottles readily from myself, my husband, or her grandmother at home. I don't know if the problem is a trust issue or maybe the daycare...
Thank you all for sharing your opinions - this gives me some points to discuss with her doctor. The suspected allergies are food-related; we don't suspect an allergy to the actual vaccines. The reasoning was that she may have a weak immune system (as evidenced by her food allergies), which may be an indication that she would not react well to the vaccines. But I will follow-up with her doctor, to make sure we are fully weighing the risks of exposure at daycare.
Our doctor (naturopath) has recommended that we delay vaccines until after 2 years of age due to some allergy concerns in my 5 month old daughter. She is going to a group daycare with various classes of kids up to 3 years of age. So she has had no vaccine shots. Should I be concerned? She is our first child and I can't help but worry and i am finding so much conflicting information on this issue. I am concerned about "shedding" from vaccinated kids and also the fact...
I've been nursing for almost 5 months, and never had a problem... I've nursed in restaurants, grocery stores, shopping malls - usually with a cover. The few interactions have been encouraging (e.g. strangers making eye contact and smiling). However, I have given my baby expressed breastmilk in a bottle in public and have received a couple of comments that were critical about formula feeding! So maybe it depends on the location - I live in Portland, Oregon.
This is our first baby and it was a little overwhelming looking at the Babies R Us or Amazon lists of "things you need". I didn't register anywhere (was just uncomfortable with the consumerism aspect), but for my shower we asked for hand-me-downs. This worked out well because people brought the things they found the most useful for their own babies. We also received some really sweet handmade items, like a blank scrap book ready to be filled, a handsewn breastfeeding...