or Connect

Posts by Llyra

I'm glad you got some answers! I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Only one of my three were toilet trained before almost 3. DD1 was a few months past three, and DS was about a month before 3. I also raise late talkers. DD1 didn't say a single word until 19 months. At 2, DS still only had a few words. FWIW, DD1, who didn't talk, wouldn't potty, refused to join in any organized activities, and used to drive me nuts because she wouldn't learn to dress herself or wash herself, went to kindy and learned to read in less than a month, and...
Take heart-- the comments made me for a long time, but once they're walking around, it seems like it eases up a lot. I've shared before-- my favorite comment ever was the one where I was asked if they were twins, and said yes, and the person looked at me doubtfully, and said, "Are you sure?" Like maybe I was mistaken about having birthed two babies on the same day, maybe? Like maybe I was lying, for some crazy reason? Dunno. I've also loved how once you get through...
It sounds a lot like a strep infection, to me. The usual way strep presents in the throat is with a very sore throat, swollen glands, but no cold or flu symptoms. Can you get to some kind of urgent care, the next time, for a throat swab and some antibiotics?
I am going to move this out to the general forum. And best of luck to the OP-- it sounds like you are trying your hardest to do what is best for your daughter. You may want to stop in at our Working and Student Parents forum for more support and advice, too.
DD1 was totally unimpressed and uninterested with her siblings arrived. She mostly ignored them, except when their needs were getting in the way of what she wanted. She didn't want to hold them, didn't want anything to do with helping to care for them. It wasn't until they started sitting up and crawling, that she started to warm up to them. Now, (they're 4 and she's 6) they are the best of friends, except when they're having huge raucous arguments. I used to worry...
I am so very sorry for you loss. I can't imagine what you must be going through. Please know that we are all holding your in our thoughts.
I think there's a strong passive-aggressive element to this. They disagree with how the parent is grooming the child, dressing the child, or whatever. But to actually approach the parent, and state their position-- "DS looks ridiculous with his hair like that. I think you should let me cut it."-- would open themselves up to being openly disagreed with. I know my MIL would DIE before she'd engage in that kind of open, honest disagreement. It's a lot easier for her to...
What I would expect-- if my kid was with MIL, and she thought a haircut might be nice, that she'd call me, and say, "Hey, I noticed DS's hair is getting long. I have some time this afternoon-- would you want me to go ahead and cut it for you?" Then I'd say, no, thanks, we're growing it out on purpose, so I'd like you to just leave it alone. and I'd expect her to not get huffy or defensive, but just say, oh, that's fine, and move on. Anything less, to me, would be WAY...
My kids drink one cup of orange or grapefruit juice with breakfast, mostly because of DD1's fiber supplement. They drink one or two cups of milk a day. The rest of the time, they drink water, or herbal teas if I have the get-up-and-go to remember to brew them. I'm not nuts about the no-sugar thing-- they'll drink stuff like punch or soda if it's offered at a party, or something, and I make lemonade sometimes, but water is our main beverage. If I was going to take out...