or Connect

Posts by Llyra

With my first two births, my breasts never felt hard or engorged, and I never felt letdown until about the third or fourth week. For me, "milk coming in" was more a gradual thing that happened slowly over the course of a few days. It was only the third time, with my twins, that I had the sudden rock-hard boobs phenomenon. My milk has also always been slow to come in-- even when I had the twins, who between them were logging about 23 hours of suckling time a day, I had...
The issue with canning tomatoes in a water bath, with other ingredients added, is that there is a risk that the acidity will be too low. Having done it before, with no ill effects, doesn't make it safe-- it just means you've been lucky so far. Frankly, it's not a risk I'd take. People think, oh, if I get sick, oh well, but botulism is not a simple vomit-and-diarrhea illness. It is a deadly intoxication with neurological effects. The risk of death is lower, now that...
I think that if you have any doubts about all being well, you should speak to a healthcare provider about it. I am very conservative about anything involving breathing, and newborns. My son (also a twin) had a lot of breathing issues in his early days, though he was nearly-term, and a good size at birth. It is probably just related to immaturity, but if it were me I'd want somebody knowledgeable to take a look. Please be careful with the bulb syringe-- the PP is...
DD1- 5 1/2 months DD2- 6 months DS2- 8 months I waited longer with DS because he wasn't sitting yet-- I always used steady sitting and interest as my main "readiness" cues, and DS took a long time to sit. Also he was gaining weight very slowly, up until about 6 months, and we didn't want to displace breastmilk with lower-calorie solids. We did some spoon feeding, and some of what I guess is commonly called BLW around here-- we're not dogmatic about our feeding choices.
Myself, I think it's a fantastic argument for forgoing the fast food and the artificial plastic environment, and letting kids go back to playing outside.
Staph can live for hours on dry surfaces, and it can be contracted as a skin infection, so no hand-to-mouth contact is even necessary.http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/mrsa/And the ordinary methods of cleaning these places use-- spraying it quickly, and then wiping with a cloth-- often just spreads it around.(from the above source)One of the best preventatives is to make sure open sores, cuts, and scrapes are properly covered by a clean bandage.I'm not a big germaphobe--...
Yeah, sure. I can't understand why putting a baby in a safe place for a short time, to amuse him/herself, is a problem? It never would have occurred to me to consider that a problem. Maybe it's because I'm naturally a solitary type, and it makes sense to me that even babies sometimes just want everybody to go the heck away? My girls especially always seemed to relish and enjoy that time. DD1 used to cry to be put down, from an early age-- she'd be in a rage, if I...
I use it to stretch a meatloaf, and you can sub half of the flour in a pancake recipe, and make hoecakes. I also use it to fry chicken or fish.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pink-eye/DS00258/DSECTION=causes http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002005/ http://www.cdc.gov/conjunctivitis/index.html The proper name for pinkeye is conjunctivitis. It can have many causes-- the most common are viruses, allergies, and bacteria. The viral type is extraordinarily contagious. Only the bacterial type will respond to antibiotic drops, but because it is impractical to test to tell whether each case is viral or...
I had a baby like that. My DS is 4 1/2 years old now, and still we can't flush the toilet at night without waking him. I had to put baby powder in the cracks of the hardwood, because if the floor creaks, he wakes. He has never not once ever slept through the night, except when he had the flu. As an infant, he slept ONLY on the breast, ONLY in my bed, ONLY in complete silence and darkness. Letting him stay up until he got good and tired just backfired-- then he...