or Connect

Posts by Llyra

We cut up chunks of butternut or acorn squash, pumpkin, and apples, and bake with maple syrup, cinnamon and butter.
I do can some, because I run out of freezer room this time of year. I prefer freezing, though, because Vitamin C survives the freezing process better that way. I blanch mine in boiling water and peel, and then chop them and freeze. You can freeze them whole, too. Or you can cook them down into sauce and freeze that. I have frozen in jars-- if you do it that way, leave a few inches of headspace, because it will expand, and you don't want to crack a jar. I also put...
What always happened for me was baby would latch, and suck briefly (maybe twenty seconds) and then the first letdown would come. Baby would swallow vigorously for a few minutes. Then baby would start a slower, more rhythmic suck, but still swallow actively, for about five minutes or maybe more. At some point it would slow down to a gentle flutter suck. If Baby kept that up long enough, a second letdown would come, and I'd see more vigorous swallowing for a minute or...
The first chocolate my kids had was around their first birthday-- a little before for DD2, and a little after for DD1. DS wasn't given any until much later, but that's because he wasn't allowed dairy, so he didn't have chocolate until he was old enough to eat semi-sweet chunks-- because anything with chocolate that I might have offered (cake, pudding, cookies) mostly had dairy content. I as a general rule don't offer my kids sugar. Not at home, at least. But I have...
Have you introduced the bottle? Some kids experience nipple confusion, and it leads to them having trouble latching, or even refusing the breast entirely.
It's perfectly normal and very common. Actually, you and I probably sometimes have it happen-- but because we don't look carefully at our own stools, we don't always notice. Anyway, it does get a LOT less as they get older. Their ability to chew effectively improves, and so does their digestion. No worries. All of my kids did this. And be aware that banana, once it's gone all the way through the digestive system, can look a LOT like worms. But it's not worms--...
I do them two ways-- 1. I core them, but otherwise leave them intact. Then I stuff the core with butter, cinnamon, and a bit of brown sugar. Put them in the oven on 375 in a baking pan, upright, until they're soft but not mush. 2. Slice and core them. (I don't peel, but you can). Mix with brown sugar and cinnamon, then put pats of butter on top. 375 in a casserole dish until soft but not mush, but I stir every five minutes until the butter is thoroughly mixed...
Quote: Originally Posted by GuavaGirl Thanks ladies. When is comes to the weight limit for rear facing your convertible seat, do want it higher or lower? I don't really understand that. I just assumed he's switch to forward facing. Fill me in. Oh, no no no. A child cannot legally be forward facing until the child is 20 pounds AND a year old, but that is the bare minimum under the law. That doesn't mean that's safe. A child is so much...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Lilya I think it makes sense that they try to cut hair and toe nails. Those are things that they observe being cut. It is much less likely for a child to try to cut his penis. You know I'm just teasing, right? Of course I know he wouldn't do that. I just think it's funny to think about-- I can imagine him thinking it over. Like, "hmm, I wonder if I could... Nah, it'll hurt. But I could...."
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Lilya Maybe she was thinking about how a lot of kids cut their own hair at some point. If my kid was gonna take scissors to his penis, I'd much rather there be as many layers as possible. OMG I can totally see DS trying that, at some point. The other day I caught him trying to cut his own toenails-- he's got one little toe that's like totally mutilated. It was bleeding, and he was concentrating so hard...