or Connect

Posts by 2GR8KIDS

We're trying to eat at home more often too. I think some of the answers depend on what types of food your family eats and how often you want to shop. I have come to realize that my family (1) doesn't eat frozen foods (either processed foodd or leftovers or extra ingredients that make it into the freezer), and (2) doesn't like leftovers. We aren't motivated to can fruits or vegetables, make our own pasta, bake bread etc. - partly because we have convenient access to a lot...
I have been fascinated by this since I read the Sunset article a week or two ago. The woman profiled in the article has a blog that answers some of the same questions/criticisms raised in thus thread. I find myself with mixed feelings. On the one hand their goal seems admirable and they have really put a lot of thought and effort into their lifestyle. But some of the information on her blog bugs me - especially something about how one of her sons liked bandaids but she...
My parents are both gone. My mom was more of a collector than a hoarder (she had lots of really nice, carefully chosen things), but it is really paralyzing to deal with. I must have 6 boxes crammed with family photos. It has made me realize that if I am going to keep something for my kids, I should make it so they can enjoy it - I would have been happier with one photo album that explained who/when/what all these pictures are than 6 boxes of photos. I also have a...
Decluttered to me means: * like items grouped together and fitting into their designated space (for example, all the books fit on the bookshelves). * items arranged so that you don't have to move one thing to get to another (so toys can sit next to each other on a shelf rather than being stacked on top of each other). * meaningful items on display but displayed on the wall or otherwise contained so that horizontal spaces are fairly clear. Overall, I love...
DD is 5 and she spends hours each day drawing and making things out of paper. She also loves her stuffed animals. Occasionally she plays with: puzzles dress up clothes legos Polly Pockets sports equipment fort building things (pillows, blankets, etc.) trading cards (Pokeman, Bella Sara)- particularly with her older brother and his friends When I was her age I would play dolls and dollhouse for HOURS. DD was given a ton of hand me down American Girl stuff...
In our case getting an individual plan was much much cheaper than COBRA (in large part because we chose a higher deductible plan). It was difficult to get the policy because of the application process. COBRA runs out after awhile (which is the main reason we got an individual plan). I do fear that the individual plan could be cancelled. But that is balanced by not being dependent on our employers for insurance.
I don't use eBay nearly as much as I used to because it seems like it is now just retailers selling new items, rather than people selling used items they no longer need. I have plenty of retailers near me- I would rather buy/sell things that are no longer needed rather than buying them online from retailers.
DS is about to turn 9. My DS likes to read, draw (sometimes), play with his sister (usually Legos or stuffed animals), throw a baseball or football with dad, and play computer games or Nintendo DS. When he's with friends at our house, they generally spend part of their time playing on the computer or DS and part of their time outside playing sports (baseball, football, lacrosse, etc). Things he likes to do at friends' houses are play Wii, pool, or go swimming. I'm...
Is it a public school? They lose Average Daily Attendance money from the state when kids miss school, so they typically encourage parents to avoid scheduling trips, etc. on school days. If that was truly the teacher's concern, though, she should have raised it with you and not put your son on the spot or tried to drive a wedge between him and his parents! I would probably let it drop unless she mentions it again. Hope you had fun at Disneyland!
My DD sounds like she has a very similar personality, and we had similar issues around preschool. First the good news ... she is in kindergarten this year and after a couple weeks of adjusting to it she has been really positive about going to school each day. As for preschool, I needed her to go because I work part-time. I felt really conflicted about it and I think because she's a sensitive person she picked up on that, which made it a bigger struggle. It's like what...