or Connect

Posts by filamentary

ok, good to know. =) they offer conversion of those fabrics into a ring sling for $90, but i bet i could get the rings and do it myself for far less. i am guessing that the rings make it faster to take on & off, like a buckle, as opposed to tying knots? again, i know so very little about wraps/slings/carriers yet, so i'm just guessing based on pictures i've seen. honestly i imagine that much of the time i'll be doing half the work with my arms, like, even if i do...
i saw a lot of suggestions and useful feedback about wrap-carriers in here that i'll have to refer back to, so i'm subscribing to this thread. still a smidgen early for me, but the world of wraps seems overwhelming at this point b/c i haven't delved in yet... while i'm at it, lemme just ask if anyone has experience with this one?: http://www.risaroo.com/woven-wraps/girasol/amitola-azarafan-diamond-weave (i'm just absolutely in love with this fabric)
another moms club link b/c apparently membership is contingent upon your zipcode (i guess it keeps it so all members actually live nearby): http://momsclubeaglerockhighlandpark.com this one (not the silverlake one) happens to include my zipcode, and it seems by the name, also eagle rock & highland park. what i don't know is what sorta moms to expect to meet. like, will there be moms who CIO & yell & spank & such? just adding the link for now, but i'll update if i join...
i read about mothering as a rare and awesome website/magazine (except, i guess it's not a magazine anymore) that would be one of the few places where i would not be subjected to a ton of terrible advice and marketing. this was in a book specific to attachment parenting converts, a book called "beyond the sling" by mayim bialik (sp?). so glad to have found it, too! it's a refreshingly open-minded and warm-hearted community of folks. yay! too bad, though, that i missed the...
i am not a momma yet, but occasionally i wonder if all the trouble trying to *get* babies to sleep is less a problem of them having trouble getting to sleep, and more a problem of trying to get them to follow our schedules (or assuming the schedule they followed in the past should still apply)? like sometimes i'm reading about these extended dramas around trying to *get* baby to sleep, but what would happen if, in those scenarios, baby was allowed to just hang out, awake,...
ok, i'll let you know!
also, guys, WRT armpit odor control? i've been using "jungleman" with a pretty high success rate! tips: keep it in the fridge if it's warmer than 80 degrees indoors or else the stuff is sludgey & goes on way too thick (don't forget to roll it up to the correct height before you put it in the fridge, though, or you won't be able to); put it on immediately after washing pits (don't wait until you've begun sweating); it works best applied liberally, so ideally (esp if you...
ah, yes, that is the other one. salt crystal deodorants are one of those two aluminum salts, potassium aluminum sulfate or ammonium aluminum sulfate.also, dinahx, lolz, dedicated hippie warrior!!! so that's what i am!
yeah, actually, good point. and genuinely hadn't occurred to me either. but i suppose there are probably as many examples of school nurses providing an extra pair of caring adult eyes where the parents are neglectful, as there are of the variety that rub us the wrong way ideologically. while the nurse mentioned would bug me, i guess in all likelihood she was probably doing it in a sincere effort to be helpful. not saying i wouldn't still give her a bit of a feminist...
(btw, can i say how exciting it is to see so many of you casually mentioning, in passing, the use of baby signs?!! i studied a bit of linguistics & ASL & in that context learned that babies can use language super young, as evidenced by the babies in deaf households. when we decided to have a baby, i bought a huge stack of books, one about baby signing, and though i haven't cracked it open yet, i keep wondering to myself when we should start building our vocabulary. now i...