or Connect

Posts by filamentary

i have been guilty of accidentally sorta staring (well, i think perhaps seeming like it): i am noticing the cute little momma/baby-in-sling duo, not really aware they're breastfeeding, then i will suddenly notice there's a big swath of exposed flesh (oh! they're breastfeeding! shit, i bet they thought i was gawking! look away, but not too abruptly! awww, what's wrong with me?) b/c i have strong, unabashed feelings that breastfeeding is super important and should be...
i feel like these message boards are so often about such incredibly personal aspects of our lives, that it's actually pretty cool & amazing how mature & supportive the vast majority of things said tend to be. on the one hand, some of us, maybe seeking to learn & grow, have to be ready to find something well-thought-out come under unexpected scrutiny, then sort out our thoughts about that feedback from the strong feelings that may accompany that... i am still immune from...
yeah, i think you said it: portion control.  my doctor told me years ago that basically i could accomplish what i wanted (i was only "chubby") with portion control.  she was probably right.  that if i could have somehow managed proper portion control, i would have done alright.  it wasn't until i started weighing out what 1 oz of nuts is, 3 oz of sliced sweet potato is, 4 oz of meat is, etc., b/c i was doing this to count the calories, that i realized two things: (1) my...
wow, interesting. i had no idea that this was a phenomenon. sure, i've heard plenty of body-shame peeps turn up their noses at any hint of actually being mammalian. the type who call a lot of natural, normal things "gross". but now i know that there's this other phenomenon that can happen in the very-happy-to-breastfeed type, as well. i guess it makes sense that nature eventually starts giving us some little, "ok, maybe it's time to move past this phase" signals, which is...
haha, i'm just thinking to myself reading that, that calling him an a**hole makes a distinct and clearly different impact, flavor-wise, from calling him a jerk. i am biased, though, in that i don't understand why we arbitrarily forbid including some mean/angry/expressive words from children's vocabularies, while allowing others. if the idea is that they should speak kindly, the words we know as expletives comprise such a small segment of the list of words that won't be...
about halfway through this, gotta come back later to finish reading them. love so many of the responses so far. i expected to find a bunch of people explaining that their kids are not, in fact, weird, but like the direction this convo took instead: i was totally judging the word "weird" as something i'd be scared to think of my kid as ending up, but, what was i thinking? weird is fine! weird is awesome! duh! forgive me, i'm a bit sleep deprived & not used to it (yes, yes,...
not sure if this thread is still active, but i'm subscribing to come back and read. for now i'll just mention that i'm uber feminist, studied sex/gender and race in the context of inequality in school. i think anne fausto-sterling pretty much sums up everything important about how sex/gender (yes, both) are binary categories informed more by culture (folk theory) than science in her book "sexing the body: gender politics and the construction of sexuality". that book is...
oh, yeah, i guess by subscribing, i inadvertently bumped a ten-year-old thread. haha, did not even realize it! but hello again, you two (fillyjonk & sweetsilver), i seem to see you guys everywhere!
when i was a wee one, i remember this kid-aimed series of biography books. they were probably around a hundred pages each, had an illustration or two smattered in there. my mom took us to the library constantly and after i discovered harriet tubman through this series, i went back and read lots more from the series. i believe that was at the same time i was reading judy blume & beverly cleary. there's got to be an equivalent thing out there today, probably an even wider...