or Connect

Posts by filamentary

i read that when you change your habits to ones that suddenly recruit more muscle (even if you're not building, but equally so if you are building muscle), the muscles will suck up fluids and it will stay there, more of the time.  so if at the beginning of a period of doing a lot more working out, you find that the scale creeps up 5-10 lbs, much of that is water weight, due to it being stored in muscle.  i cannot verify this, but i read it a number of places, so i'm...
i used to experience something a lot like this and i've always had a hard time describing it.  for me, it was like this giant mechanism, with gears and belts all spinning and pulling some entity (sorta me, sorta not me) inward to it.  it had an overwhelming and inevitable feeling about it.  i was terrified of it, in theory.  however, it didn't happen when i was wide awake.  it happened (i am making my best guess here) during that weird semi-lucid period between being awake...
oh, maybe "cred" does stand for credibility! doh! i inadvertently made my point about them needing to clarify, that's for sure.
i think it's important to remember that depth of focus is not the same as intensity. i have laser focus – hours will fly by, i get into mega 'flow' (as they're calling it these days)–but that doesn't mean i wasn't focusing on the myriad connections, analogous linkages, points of overlap, etc., of twenty different things! and i am, in fact, a huge fan/proponent of the benefits of the liberal arts, in that we think in a better manner about any given thing if we know quite a...
on first inspection, i like "cred", b/c it carries the same connotation as "reputation". to have, for instance, "street cred" means that you have a good reputation. but "cred" is short for "credentials", and that's far more formal-sounding than "reputation". if they just put "cred", though, they'll inevitably have to explain to some people that it doesn't stand for "credit", that it's not a redeemable unit of credit or anything like that. and even beyond that, it is...
my thought process after reading this was that we believe we can parent in these ways: minimally coercive, unconditional parenting, attachment parenting, unschooling, etc., b/c of a belief in the nature of humans as social beings who are interdependent with the world/community they're born embedded in, and empathetic as long as that is modeled for and nurtured in them, leading to cooperative, responsible, compassionate adults.if your kids displayed intolerant or hateful...
i read "the teenage liberation handbook" when it came out (i was a junior in HS), and promptly quit school & applied to a private liberal arts college, and was not only accepted with a mere 2 1/2 yrs of formal high school, i was offered the 2nd best scholarship they offered (just shy of a full ride), and have been convinced that that learning is richer and more amazing than most any school ever makes it seem since then – even though i also thrived in the ordinary classroom...
followed the link from another UP thread. subscribing to this one, too. and yay Mama Amie on the train situation! i bet that success felt great! i really love hearing UP (and similar) style success stories, as much as i love pondering others' struggles/challenges. they are both helping me get my brain ready for what lies ahead, as well as give me concrete scenarios to discuss with my wife so we can both feel confident with how the other one plans to treat our child. so...
i am only halfway through this thread so far, planning to read it all the way through, and i also noticed Mama Amie linked to another (similar, but more recent?) thread, so i'll be checking that one out, too. just wanted to subscribe to the thread for now. =)
yes! well said!