or Connect

Posts by filamentary

you know, after posting that reply, i was thinking to myself, gee, i almost made it sound like i think TV is *the* activity a kid ought to fill their evenings with. which is actually not how i feel at all! my thought process was a little more along the lines of: if he's left to entertain himself more or less, and he is understandably suffering from boredom or frustration in his attempts, and dad isn't willing to give him attention to help him out, then TV, while a poor...
wow, great article!
i think the following statement is quite revealing : "his dad wants to engage with him as little as possible until there's a problem, then blame the problem on the kid and order him around". your husband has little or no interest in being a parent, basically?? i think the one who is the problem in your house is your negligent husband, and you owe it to your son to take him to task. it could easily be one of your biggest and most painful regrets if you don't. you cannot...
okay, i haven't made it all the way through the discussion yet, but i got to #9 and wanted to share the impression it left on me... you wrote: "This week he will have no TV on school days. His dad is going to check on the status of homework and chore every so often and remind him about using his list. We have been trying to talk about working reading into the day, but the kid is very resistant still, although his teacher confirmed he needs to read outside school." and my...
maybe you've already thought of this & maybe it's not feasible, but maybe you guys could somehow make different bedtimes for yourselves so he's not asleep before you can be, too? if you simply aren't able yourselves to get as many hours of sleep per night as you allow the kiddo to get, perhaps you parents could stagger your sleep, so one of you is always in bed when the kid's asleep? but, hey, the vast majority of adults are getting way too little sleep, and it takes its...
i have wondered for a while how people manage to AP when the second & third baby comes into the picture, b/c of how hard the time commitment might get. the other day a woman i ran into at the bookstore said how AP was fine and all, in theory, except she's on #5 so it's impractical. naturally, i judged her–silently but strongly; if her other children needed her, wasn't she being selfish by indulging some odd craving for another cute little baby instead of continuing to...
granted, most of what i've read states pretty straightforwardly and without hesitation that bedsharing is safe, and i generally don't expect to be one of those parents who is frequently or highly concerned about SIDS, as i expect our family's shared sleep to be an experience of bonding, affection, and cooing at our newest family member (as opposed to constant fretting).  but, for instance, at this link, the way i read it would cause me to conclude that preventing SIDS is...
lemme start by saying i am 100% planning to cosleep (we are TTC soon, so i just started learning all this stuff about 6 months ago)---i was quickly and easily converted to an AP mindset as soon as i read about it and it all completely resonated with me (and everything i've learned about psychology in the past, in and out of school).  but i still wanna make sure i know i'm doing it in a safe manner, of course, so knowing i'm going to doesn't mean i'm not going to keep...
i've been doing similar to you guys. nesting is totally the right word for it! i've built some new furniture, including my own "squatty potty" (don't care for the look of commercially available ones), organized the kitchen, am also remodeling the bathroom, and just generally making the house "complete" and comfortable for the period of time when i won't be able/willing to make these types of changes. internally, lots of changes, too. lost 30 lbs by cutting out carbs &...
the link didn't go to a specific thread, just to the main page for that message board, so i was unable to see the info about the debunking, but i am very curious! new link?