or Connect

Posts by nancg

which I wouldn't have thought would matter so much, but breastfeeding here is clearly not the norm (and I'm in a city with lots of colleges, so you'd think people would catch on). I am just floored by the sight of bottles here - one mom I know, who breastfeeds sometimes, was nursing at soccer practice, and when I complimented her she said, embarassed, "I didn't plan ahead very well". Next time I saw her she had a bottle (I couldn't tell if it was milk or formula). I...
No, I'm not on that list - I just moved here and had no idea there was such a thing. Thank you! N
Here's my letter. SB 951 supports a woman's right to BF in public, SB 952 supports a woman's right to pump at work without penalty, and SB 953 offers Tax breaks for companies which support breastfeeding mothers. I was asked a few weeks ago by my older daughter's school NURSE not to BF my 3 year old at the afterschool program (I didn't listen, but still, it made me made), so these bills are definitely needed. Nancy (mom to Emily, 6, and Hazel, 3) (here's the link to...
No flames here. Weaning sounds like a good choice in this case, and I would certainly not think less of it. That feeling is why I had to night-wean, then day-wean, then was happy for several months on morning and bedtime nursings. We each do what we can. I'm just curious - do you know anything about when you were weaned and how? Do you think you have anything in your personal history that could explain why this feeling is so strong for you? Pardon me for being...
Well, this was particular to my situation so I don't know if it would work, and it isn't catty...but I was (am) way skinnier than my usual while nursing, and my babies have both been little butterballs. So I would just tell people that nursing was like liposuction, and better the baby's thighs be fat than mine! Nancy mom to Emily (4.5) and Hazel (almost 2)
I found the best time to get an "extra" pumping in was morning, rather than evening. Apparently prolactin levels are highest at night - so if you can pump one side while baby nurses other side first thing in the morning, you might get more. And do this also on weekends if you can, to have a bit more stored. Maybe once in the morning and at one naptime, if the logistics work OK. You are doing wonderfully! Just keep it up and it will work out. You are doing great...
Right after I finished a marathon 3 weeks ago, I was nursing my 2 year old (who kept trying to push off my foil blanket - I wasn't trying to be discreet I was trying to be WARM) and a woman came by and said "Good for you". It was really nice of her, especially because I hate nursing in my running bra. Nancy
Yes, but I usually just keep walking. Mostly because I'm not very patient about sitting still, not as a matter of principle. However, my DD2 has her own answer to this, which is that she likes to nurse sitting up, kindof on my hands, so it isn't the easiest. But yes, I'll nurse wherever. Last public one of interest was sitting on a bench in front of an antique store in a nearby small town. I wondered whether I was inhibiting or encouraging business, but no one...
There are definitely other doctors out there - I don't know your area but I have a ped who is very, very good at talking through which vaccinations are relatively more important. I am not going to defend vaccination programs here - but I am going to explain the public health statistics business. For each illness (depending on how easily it spreads and how long a person is infectious), there is a percent of the population which could be immunized and make the chance...
I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal saying the FDA was going to start cracking down on doperimine - apparently it can have some serious side effects. I'm not saying don't get it; I'm not saying the story is all there. But it seems that this bears looking into (and at the very least, it might explain why you're not getting an answer). Nancy