or Connect

Posts by LiminalOne

This post is from ages ago, but we go to the UU church the above poster mentioned, Allen Avenue UU Church, and really like it there. It's a very liberal religious group, focused on folks finding their own spiritual path rather than agreeing to someone else's with lots of cool social action happening.   Our hs'd boys, ages 7 and 11, have good friends that they've made there over the past 5 years, as do I.   Good luck in your search.   Angie  
not sure if you've already received your answer, but I am currently homeschooling my 5th grader and have worked with Enki all along. I am part of a group that is working on developing materials that will hopefully be parts of full packages one day. I can say that first hand, it is a lot of work to find/write stories that really speak to the deep connection that Enki is trying to bring to the child. It's a huge job to create these packages.   Even if working within...
Hello We are coming out to Seattle for a family wedding and would.like to swap our house near lovely Portland Maine for your Seattle digs. We have lots of food issues so need a place to cook our meals. Dates are 12 July until 17 July or thereabouts. Come enjoy some lobster and see how the other coast lives. Thanks Angie Homeschooling mama to 9yo Finn and 6 yo Theo
I want to go help out my Mom who recently had back surgery for a couple of weeks this March. But I know that staying with her would be too much for her at this point. I will have my two ds with me (9 and 5) and am hoping for a good living situation for all of us. Any leads welcome. I've been looking at Craigslist, but so far nothing's popped out at me.   Thanks, Angie Maine Mama to Finn, 9, and Theo, 5
I want to go help out my Mom who recently had back surgery for a couple of weeks this March. But I know that staying with her would be too much for her at this point. I will have my two ds with me (9 and 5) and am hoping for a good living situation for all of us. Any leads welcome. I've been looking at Craigslist, but so far nothing's popped out at me.   Angie Maine Mama to Finn, 9, and Theo, 5
Hi Adina   In Enki, there's an important distinction between child-driven learning and parent-directed learning. Child-driven learning happens when it happens; they discover connections and learn about the world. Enki talks about this as similar to John Holt's "messing about." We don't try to stop this from happening in kindergarten, but we also do not need to codify it for them (firm it up). Especially in kindergarten we want a long period of discovery and...
Hi Adina   We've been using Enki since kindergarten and just now my oldest is in 4th grade. I can't imagine doing anything else at this point, even though I'm creating many of the materials along with other parents that we are using in 4th grade. Having seen the depth of connection that our work has engendered in both my boys, how could I give that up even if it takes me some work.   I'm currently using Enki kindergarten with my younger son and I'm continually...
I see that you've gotten a lot of advice. I think it's really important to listen to your intuition, but it can be hard to hear it sometimes (amidst all of the other shoulds). We work within the Enki model which is rooted in the Waldorf pedagogy, but not its philosophy of anthroposophy. What I've found in my experience is that it can be really empowering to a child to let them have a long period of messing about with a subject before you bring it to formal study. So,...
Bumping this thread back up as a friend brought it to my attention months ago. We are the family in Maine where my son had a strong link btw celiac and epilepsy that even the neurologist (who I absolutely adored btw) agreed with. Finn started having seizures at 2 1/2 and they were varied. He had about a dozen myoclonic seizures a day plus occasionaly grand mal and absence. We tried various medications, which controlled the grand mal, but not the others. Reading on...
Thanks so much for the responses, mamas! I'm pretty sure I'm miscarrying. I'm still bleeding (it's getting heavier all the time), had a ton of cramping yesterday. I'm just trying to lay low and to grieve this last little baby of mine. I'm amazed that I felt his passing on Friday before the bleeding started. I'm glad that I was given the chance to say goodbye. Good luck to you all and thanks for the short journey...