or Connect

Posts by MaggieLC

What works for one family may not work for an other. All my children went to preschool 2 days a week for 2 hours at 3 or 3 and 4 (if they had middle of the school year birthdays) then 3 days a week for 2.5 to 3 hours at 4 or 4 and 5. My youngest went to a pilot program for 2 year olds at the High School Child Development class. Her older sister was in the class for half of it, and I think the once a week session ran about an hour and a half. She loved it, called it "Sister...
Of course you're allowed to set boundaries! Don't feel bad about it. I've set boundaries with things that have made me uncomfortable with 6 month old babies. Mainly I hate "the other one" being touched while I' nursing. I never let my kids "twiddle" the other nipple, it just squicked me out. So, I would gently remove their little hands and say, "Please don't play with the other one." Then hand them a soft toy to play with. I used nursing beads and gentle reminders and it...
I'm sorry you're going through this. When I was a teenager the pp next door rented out their basement and their kids would be watching Sesame Street and other TV shows in the middle of the night (they never went outside and didn't seem to have any parental supervision either) and we could hear the TV and unhappy kids screaming in our house. And we lived in brick Chicago Bungalows. We did ask both the mother (on the rare occasion we saw her outside) if she could turn the TV...
Two of my three children didn't need much sleep as babies and small children, and they both had difficulties falling asleep both as babies, toddlers, kids and adolescents. My middle child is an "atypical gifted" child. She never did "well" on testing, had test anxiety and tended to "choke" on test, but is brilliant and is at 25 is not only completing Grad School but is getting her career on track as we speak. She, however, was my BEST sleeper, and still is. The kid has to...
There's hope! I have nigh on 8 years of breastfeeding under my belt, and my youngest weaned around 8.5 or 9 years ago (the date is hazy to me actually when she finally stopped completely,) and I'm still built like a little brick... uh... outhouse. too...   My DH says mine are the nicest rack he's seen (of course he says that) but judging from a lot of the looks I get from other people, I'm assuming mine are still looking pretty good.   (I think so.)  Of course my children...
We've been here, too. My father and his wife LOVE our children and with our first two kids we didn't say anything right away and ended up with the Licensing Toys from Hell Christmas and birthdays. My dds liked The Little Mermaid, so he bought them Little Mermaid comforters, LM sheets, LM dolls, LM toothbrushes, LM underwear, LM everything! As they got a little older and especially when DD3 came along I felt more comfortable telling him we weren't comfortable with toys that...
We bought an Electrolux upright after going through about 7 or 8 cheaper vacuums in as many years. It was worth the $600.00 we spent on it, it has never needed maintenance (the Electrolux man comes out every year and does some "tune up" on it for free) except the door spring was broken. We called Electrolux and I went to use the bathroom. While I was gone, my DH let the Electrolux man in, he fixed the door on the machine (no charge) and left. Amazing.   We tore up all...
My choice of words about this woman being "dishonest" was because she hid her own breastfeeding from her own children. That's dishonest to me. That's how babies are fed to many of us. People who are dishonest about one thing are rarely only dishonest in only one sphere of their lives. Sex is NOTHING like having sex in front of "other people" and I have found from past encounters that trying to discuss this with people who use either having sex or using the toilet with...
My first and second babies were 26 months apart, so I also had a toddler in diapers when I was pregnant. (I also had an irritable uterus and pre term labor and wasn't supposed to lift anything. LOL!) My oldest DD learned to climb up the shelves of the changing table, with me right behind her, so I could change her diaper without bending or lifting.
Hyperemisis is miserable! The poor woman.   Zofran is a very safe medication, in fact much safer than continued vomiting or avoiding food or dehydrating continually. It allows the mother to continue eating and remain hydrated, which is much safer for the baby than the nausea and vomiting.  I would support her as you can, without giving advice, and if she didn't ask for herbal suggestions, support her in taking the Zofran. I had hyperemeis during my last pregnancy, due to...