or Connect

Posts by TwinGirlsMama

My 11-year-old twin girls are a bit interested in makeup (they wear it only at home) but I hate all the crap that is out there. I hardly wear makeup and I was wondering if there are any companies that specialize in tween/teen skin issues and are also non-toxic, eco-friendly, etc.   Any suggestions? Sorry if this has been discussed already but I've been away from the boards for quite a while.   Best,   Julie
Thanks so much for the help/advice/personal stories.  It's tough to deal with, and I worry that she will be scared/anxious all her life.  As always, I'll just tell her how much I love her every day and be there as much as I can while at the same time gently nudging her to take risks (i.e. go to a sleepover).  And set up some counseling sessions, too.   Again, thanks!
She refuses to go to sleepovers (but she lets people sleep at our house).  I still have to lie (lay?) down with her when she goes to bed. She freaks out and cries on the very rare occasion I am away for the night (on business, for example).  She usually cries on Sunday nights because Monday means work for me and school or camp for her.   We spend all our free time together and have a close relationship with me.  She says she doesn't like being so far away from me but...
Quote: Originally Posted by lilyka and lets say you volunteered at a shelter. you walked, groomed an loved on 10 animals and they were all put down any way. did you make a difference? of course you did. you may not have changed how they died but you changed how they lived. every scratched ear, every rubbed belly, every sloppy kiss, it is all beautiful to them. they don't know they are about to die, but they do when no one comes in and gives them a...
Interestingly, when DD's school did all their testing, the school occupational therapist did not recommend OT. I thought that was kind of strange, especially since my daughter is sensitive to loud sounds, snuggling, and a couple other things. Anyway, I ordered the books recommended in post #2 & am eagerly awaiting their arrival. Thanks to everyone who has posted!
My girls are almost 8 years (actually 7 and three quarters, thank you very much). Just wondering if anyone has older twins. Are they best friends? Mine are most of the time. Then something happens, usually a little incident, and they "hate" each other. After about 5 or 10 minutes, they've patched it up and are best friends again! It's very interesting to watch!
I've been on various antidepressants for about 6 years now. I can say (at least in my case) that is has helped, but not completely. It has taken "the edge" off, but there still is that lack of interest in things, and the desire to sleep all day. I recently went off to see if I could handle it, and I must say I felt so much worse! I went back on again. You could have a completely different outcome, though. But if you really feel like you want to give it a try, I'd...
Wow! I didn't realize there were so many little anxiety sufferers out there! Thank you for all the support and information. We'll see where this goes...
Quote: Originally Posted by Magella Therapy is wonderful for anxiety, so I recommend sticking with that. Also, maybe the therapist can help you work with the teachers. Oh yes, her therapist said she'd be more than happy to talk to my daughter's teachers! I forgot to mention that part. And my daughter will continue therapy. It's just so hard for me. I hurt for her...what could be going on in her mind? I wish I could help more. I will...
So, after being diagnosed with about 9 or 10 different conditions (add, adhd, asperger's, odd, ocd, etc.), my almost 8-year-old daughter's therapist believes it is "just" extreme anxiety. Anyone else with an anxious child? Any good books I can read on the subject? It is really affecting her school work (teachers tend to view her anxiety as defiance) and her social life, to a lesser extent. I feel like I have somehow caused this and I want to do everything I can to...