or Connect

Posts by Talitha Shi

I'm not set on a detergent for my cotton prefolds either.  I started with Seventh Generation Free & Clear (I think. Maybe it was their Natural Baby) and it seemed to work fine but I switched to Rockin Green because of what I read on this website: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html It's a chart that lists lots of different detergents and rates the friendliness on cloth diapers. The Seventh Generation got a rating of 2 of 5 stars because it uses enzymes &...
It sounds like you have some great ideas. I might steal some of them:)   Dumplings are a must. One fun tradition is to put something in one of the dumplings (like a spicy pepper) and then whoever gets that dumpling gets a prize (chocolate gold coins for a prosperous year).   Red envelopes are another tradition (parents & grandparents give children a decorated red envelope and it has some money in it).    Fireworks or sparklers are a big thing if they're available. &...
I've heard Green Mountain's prefolds are good. I used Imagine "Smart Fit" prefolds from Nickis Diapers and I think they're very absorbent & I like them. If I was you I would skip the newborn size prefolds & use disposables until his umbilical cord falls off. Especially since you already have a kid, the less you have to do the first week or two the better. If you're gung-ho about cloth from the start, I'd get pro-wrap covers since they have a cut out for the cord & you can...
I traveled with my 2 month old in a Beco carrier this November and experienced the palm swabbing both ways. It took a little longer but much easier than removing her & since you get to go through the priority lane it's faster than traveling without a kid. Either they're changing the guidelines for carriers or we just got lucky. 
Growing up I loved using Wrap Ups to learn multiplication & division. Here's a video explaining how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uv6Dj73knA  I might be old-school, but it seems like we don't ever have to memorize anything anymore. I think it's valuable for kids to find a method that works for them to remember things. I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for your child.
If you're leaning towards food as the culprit, gluten and dairy tend to be common allergens.  Maybe you should investigate those a little.  Otherwise sun and air help and somewhere on this site I read that Burt's Bees diaper cream is CD safe, but I haven't tried it. I hope you figure it out!
I bought a Kenmore Elite HE top loader recently.  It's nice because it's huge (~4.7cf) and can wash big/bulky items.  I love it for everything but it's not ideal for diapers.  After I bought it I found out you're not supposed to wash any waterproof or water-resistant items in it (oops! I wash my covers anyway and it hasn't exploded, but you should ask about this before you buy a washer!) and my washer easily gets unbalanced with just pre-folds, covers & wipes in it since...
Wash them and place/hang them in the sun to dry.  2 hours of direct sunlight does wonders for stains.