or Connect

Posts by researchparent

This is for kids older than the OP's, but I thought it might be useful to someone besides me:   I just checked out the book It's Not the Stork by Robie H. Harris from the library because my 4 year old has been asking questions, like "How did he get in there?" and "How is he going to come out?" I'm generally pretty blunt with my kids (like they know correct anatomical terms), but I wasn't really sure how to answer his questions. After I got over my initial prudish...
@Activia If it's any comfort, you're not alone. I could have written your post during my first pregnancy, but it would have been a cast of 3 characters with your strong convictions being held by my husband, the confrontational, oppositional force being played by my mother, and me stuck in the middle being the one crying my eyes out over the conflict which seemed impossible to resolve. My husband and I (mostly my husband) believe in organic, all-natural, high quality...
I would nurse my baby sitting up from the "wrong" side right before bed, then when I was sleeping next to her I would nurse her only from the convenient side during night wakeups. In the morning, when I was ready to wake up, I would nurse her from the wrong side again, usually by physically going to lay on the other side of her. During the day, we'd usually start nursing with the wrong side during each session to help balance things out. In the beginning, if the...
My kids didn't sleep well at 4 months, so I'm probably not the right person to ask, but I have a couple suggestions that might make your life easier.   - If you don't want to put your baby in bed with you, because you move to much, it might make sense to use a co-sleeper or bassinet or something to keep him close enough to you that you don't have to physically get out of bed to give him the pacifier back.   - Based on my experience nursing my kids (who for awhile...
For us, showering instead of bathing works better. Give them enough buckets and cups and toys and they'll stand in the shower happily playing and not realize their heads are getting soaked. Put them in the tub and they'll LOUDLY resist getting their hair/face wet.  
My son LOVES trucks, cars, diggers, etc., and we have a ton, except I'm not sure I would recommend any in particular. He just spent his 4 year old birthday money to buy this Caterpillar construction set at Toys R Us, which he surprisingly likes a lot even though I think they're kind of baby-ish: http://www.amazon.com/Toystate-Caterpillar-Construction-Tracks-2-Pack/dp/B005QZP6Y4/   Here are a few other 2-year-old gift suggestions. There are some more on my website, if...
Well, my daughter's only 2, so thankfully I have a while before I end up in your position. :) However, I will say that as someone who can remember being in your daughter's situation, I'd recommend taking her feelings seriously and do what you can to include her boyfriend in your world. I can remember my mom telling me I was too young to know what love was and that I should pay more attention to my family/siblings/etc., because he was just a temporary part of my life and my...
I agree with pretty much what every one else has said. Chances are very small that a newborn would move enough to fall off a bed anyway, but the bed rail's not going to hurt and give you a little extra peace of mind. Older children are more of a concern and less of a suffocation risk. We sleep on the floor, so there's no concern, but when we go to a hotel put pillows/blankets/soft suitcases on the floor (just in case the baby does rolls off and keep them close to me). At...
Congratulations! It's awful that she hasn't seen her kids in 3 weeks, but it's wonderful that it only took her that long to get back 50/50 visitation. It seems like his anger and the way he publicly confronted you and displayed his temper with lots of witnesses in court will actually help her case in family court, but still, I hope the drop off occurs without any major incident.
Quote: @Dandy Lion Holy moly, this rolled hem foot thing is seriously the most useful thing I've learned about this year. It took me a couple tries just now to figure out how to use mine (I didn't even know I had one), but it is so much faster and more mindless than the way I did it. I can't remember how long it took me to hem my wrap (a couple hours?), but it definitely had me thinking, "Now I know why people would pay $80 to just buy one." Now, I can finally finish those...