or Connect

Posts by m&m

Have you tried playing "school". My 4 year old likes to play this with everything that she thinks a school has. we take turns being the teacher, it is funny to see what her idea of school is. It had lots of messy paint and sand time, lots of outside recess, and some playing in the tub. I think she just wanted some control over the ideas. There is usually a reason why kids say they are bored. Sometimes it is just not knowing what they want to do next and all the usual...
Well she has to WANT to read. And like what she is reading. Sometimes the boring beginner books are just not enjoyable enough to want to learn to read from. I have found that my dd reads better when it is a topic she enjoys, there are beautiful pictures every few pages at least, and we put a white peice of paper to help her eyes track line by line if it is a non spaced paragraph. I have also found that if she sees that I sometimes pick up a book, read a few pages...
well I have two spirited kids who are also gifted - and we did have some anger issues (they are few and far between right now) I found that they get stressed some times and spin out of control - here is what I did and what I found out... my kids need to have a routine for bedtime and for eating (missing a meal or snack is worse than changing bedtime for mine) my kids need to be able to pick what and when they learn things, for 3 out of 4 things each day, and...
There are many craft kits available, and many software games too. Too many really. My 4 yr old likes Cinderella's dollhouse CDrom, as well as Barbie Mermaid adventure CDrom. Top on her wish list this year is the Pegasus hairstyling toy. (but I don't think we'll be getting it.) My 6 yr old loves knitting (she really likes the Knit a Square, make a toy book). She is very much into art and crafts, and we have way too many things to mention. She likes shopping for her gifts...
well My 6 yr old dd has just learned to knit (and me too) we bought her a kids pair of 5mm needles which are shorter and have a ball on the end. They are great for learning, but a little slippery. larger needles make larger loops so you need more yarn. My dd chose a multicoloured yarn so it gives a pretty finish and we can also see each row as it happens and the colours change. We did not want to buy a whole bunch of different needles, so I just used some rounded chop...
Quote: Originally Posted by BoyGirlTwinsAPMama My children are not in school (they are only 2) but I have been researching schooling a lot and am curious about how you mothers feel about letting someone else teach your kids, knowing what you know about your kids and their teachers not knowing or not being able to do much about it? I mean, why do you send your kids to a school that you have to really fuss at to get them to educate your gifted kids at your...
I put 5 hours, because that is what I have to report with my minitry of education. But creative play, crafts, art, phys ed, reading, ed shows, bakings, colouring, etc. Are all counted in that time. It seems to work that I teach a concept or something and then let the kids do it for as little or as long as they want. Other than those we do experiments and reading on science, at least 2 days per week, as well as a history and geography lesson at least 1 time per...
well I am currently teaching art on my own for my dd. We use library books and just my own limited experience. My father is an artist (drawing, and steel and clay sculpture) so he has promised to help more when she's older as well. And I think art is in my blood. When she gets to a level where more instruction would be needed, then I'd pay for lessons (and I'd try to find a balance between affordable and quality). We have paid for some pottery classes - but they...
The post about suicide and depression really spoke to me. You see I shocked my family by calling a suicide help line in kindergarten - not for a prank. It is rare for children to have such thoughts but not uncommon for the pre-teen crowd - and since gifted kids think more like several years above their age - it is most likely that we could see this happening at younger ages in that demographic. Also gifted kids tend to have a global picture and put the weight of the world...
Follow your instincts - as an fellow APer they are good instincts. you might have a hard time letting go your idea of teaching - it isn't like group teaching at all. There are many different approaches to HS so you will have to find what works best for you and your kids. But the wonderful thing is that you are not tied to it forever - if you want to try out a different method - no problem, what to try different hours, different places, different lighting, different...