or Connect

Posts by m&m

I am really enjoying your posts, feeling like I am sitting with my tea listening to you talk. It feels strange peaking into your world when I don't even know you, and yet I can relate to many things. I just wanted to thank you for sharing. I might even check out your blog from time to time. How is Erin enjoying Self Design? We are using it this year for Janelle - but at 6 she can only contribute a little to the village (she has and loves it, but it takes a long time...
we did last year, but this year the girls just aren't interested. I still like it though funny how their tastes can change.
yes, for most days I totally love being with my kids. I couldn't wait to have dd back home with me when she went to half days of kindergarten. And no there was no seperation anxiety on either of our parts. The reason I say most days, is that although I love the time we are HS together, the days that are more relaxed she can often become anxious and irritable. I don't want to be working on this with her 7 days a week. Yes she does do some independent projects every day,...
Now I'm not completely unschooler, but I do lean that way. My dd had a similar problem last year. She had a clay class that she adored, and didn't want to miss it, but everytime the time to leave came around she would have a fit. We talked about it and it turns out that she didn't like the anxiety of feeling rushed to get ready and get there on time. We decided to get ready earlier (picking out clothes the night before even) and leisurely walking over to the...
I get this question often too.I think it is human nature to be curious with how others are doing things. If all they know is socialization happens at school, they think it can't happen otherwise. I reply that my dds are in girl guides, classes, groups, a neighborhood, and a family. all of which contribute to her getting along with and learning the skills needed in society. they even have friends that are seniors. My oldest is becoming less and less shy as the weeks go...
I agree with the others that encouraging her, and reading to her is best. I just also wanted to say that you might want to prepare yourself for what she might pick up now that she can read a few things. There are many places where they can read things you might not want them to learn - on billboards, busses, newspaper headlines, etc. My dd has given me some embarrassing momments by reading some of these ("what is erectyle dysfunction mommy?" LOL
well you know why your pros are good, so I'll leave those be. I could add many more pros but they'd be from MY point of view and so I won't. LOL I just want to say that I have 2 gifted kids, one doing grade 3 the other kindergarten - is it a challenge some times - yes - can it be done YES. ok - now to address your cons list... >Cons: Taking dd out of ps is a big decision that must be agreed upon by >both parents (sigh). sounds like he agrees - and moral...
Well the more hands on you can be the better. I would focus less on her age and more on her interests and abilities. My two are gifted and preschool stuff happened as toddlers - it would not hold their interest now. Find subjects that your child is interested in, of course. I'd find some science experiments (check your library for many books with easy science experiments) do baking, and read a lot. My 4 year old loves watching Magic School Bus so that is a nice...
If it is not cramping up her hand, or making her letters all wobbly - I wouldn't worry about it. If she is finding it difficult - then changing shape and size of pencil can help (they come in all shapes and sizes to feel more comfortable. Small hands have a hard time holding long standard pencils. PS focus WAY too much attention on pencil grip and direction (must write each letter in a certain way) - when the focus should be on the result. Some kids spend so much...
yes the amount of sleep you get, espcially the amount of REM sleep you get is very important. Sleep is where we learn new skills, repair our cells, flush toxins, etc. Not enough sleep can lead to problems in concentration, headaches, irritability, lowered immunity, etc. the differences are not permanent, unless you mean them not retaining information, and most don't show up unless you are severely sleep deprived - which is either less than 4 hours per night total...