or Connect

Posts by m&m

no I would not. But I may use either mentors, private tutors, or a clss here and there at a later time if I find dd needs it. I even have a hard time paying for music and art lessons, because at 6 and 4 - their hands limit them and so I feel like I can do an adequate job. But when they move beyound what I can teach, then I'll start looking into my options. But it would not be a full time school. More like extra curricular homeschool activities.
well my parents did just that. They sold their beautiful hand built log home in Manitoba and moved to some beautiful mountains in BC with my grandparents along (although they are now in a mobile home while my parents are still in the RV). Yes it is doable. Yes it is crazy. my parents have never been happier. And they can't wait to build their new home. Good luck - Oh and you are living in a luxury RV not like my parents who had to drive to get water the...
well my dds have dolls of all shapes and colours, red, while, yellow, pink, green, blue, purple, black, tan... LOL wat a colourful world! We are white and live in a very multicultural area so having different dolls is more REAL for her. she wanted it that way. And her favorites have brown hair and green eyes like her. The only thing dd has ever said about any doll was that she only has 2 male dolls, and neither of them are dark skinned. She wishes she could have...
well each child learns in their own way and at their own pace. Reading is no exception. My dd did all the pre-reading things at 3, but it wasn't until she was 5 that (after I gave her permission) she started reading. She waited for me to tell her it was ok (we had previously told her to wait for school). She showed us she could read that first day. She probably could for a year before that - she knew quite a few words at sight anyway. what I found was that she...
Yes I get so overwhelmed that I have decided not to use any packaged curriculum at all. I wouldn't mind a science text book at some point, but for now we are using library books, internet, encarta, and hands on experiments. My dd loves art so we spend quite a bit on supplies, but they don't have to be top of the line for now. Especially when her little sister wants to do some to. So we buy washable even if it doesn't work as well. Hopefully by next year we can start...
Yes!!! I have already started teaching my 6 yr old. She can sew, garden, cook (with limited exposure to the stove), do laundry, clean (although reluctantly), build if the items are pre-cut, and balance her own piggy bank. She has already saved up money several times to buy some things (Barbie sewing machine, toy pottery wheel, etc.) She also helps us budget for groceries. Last week was also her first official "Friday supper" where she planned, shopped, prepared and...
Xaloxe My oldest dd sounds a lot like yours. Huge memory, early talker and reader, excellent fine motor skills, etc. And she too has a passion for art but gets frustrated with her attempts for it to come out right. What has helped her is for me and others we know to show her our early works (kid art) as well as to attempt a very complex drawing only to have it not turn out right. Then I would explain to her that with every skill there is a learning curve, and even...
Well You actually have 3 issues here: 1- financial difficulties with your dad helping out, and willing to do more... but this will always come with strings it is human nature. Even if the strings are just guilt, they're there. You could try to get a loan or find another way not to have him be involved in your financial business. or continue how you are with the knowledge that he does have some power here. 2- the HS issue. Easier to convince your dad that this is the...
Well I am part of a few different groups. Some are very structured, some are more of a free-for-all with everyone talking and mingling at once. I prefer in between. I like it when they bring interesting books or kits to show. Gives us a way to judge something beofre using it. Some like to meet at the beach which is nice and relaxed. There are a few which are parents only and I don't like that as much. I would much prefer to have my kids able to play with other...
well we've done HS at my parent's place while on vacation, but otherwise nope. But I have met a family that sailed while HS and they LOVED it! They learned so much! And what better way than seing different people and places. Have fun! Learn lots!