or Connect

Posts by m&m

yep My dd and my dh both skirm and fidgit, and suck on things (my dd currently likes to suck on her toes while she's trying to read outloud! :LOL My little one also seems to like to run in and out of the room while "listening" so I guess that is common too. I'm told my grandmother also did this until she took up knitting. I wonder if dd and dh would like that?
Well I am required to report 5 hours per day of observations of learning. But these can and do include art, crafts, baking, sewing, reading, lessons, time outdoors, life skills, daydreaming, as well as formal studies. Some days we do 3 hours of awesome learning and 2 hours of lifeskills and playing, other days it is 8 hours of awesome learning, others it is none. Depends on our mood and what subject we are doing. My dd is 6yrs old but doing grades 1-4 this year. (sounds...
The girls love their felt boards. They have some bought felt characters for cinderella, a house with all the furniture, and a castle with characters (princess, wizard, dragon, etc.) We have also made our own felt pieces and shapes. They love to make felt boards with half sand coloured or grass coloured and half sky or sea. They make their own clouds, flowers, birds, starfish, sun, stars, etc. We have also done our own alphabet, our own clocks, and simple shapes....
I know... And this little girl was my dd best friend. I just looked at her mom and thought OMG! and I felt very sad for this little girl and her little sister. But hopefully this little girl will make smarter choices than her mother. Not likely with such a strong influence like that, but it could happen, right? We are no longer friends due to other reasons. But I was thinking of the whole popularity contest of school and thought yeah it kinda boils down to sex in...
... when you all end up engrossed in looking at microscopic life from a drop of Ocean water, comparing it to the other 5 samples of various pond and puddle water that you forget to drink your own glass of water. ... when your 3 yr old feels full after eating too much and states that the needs more time for her stomach acids to break down the food and send it to her blood before she can have her ice cream. ... when you are having just as much fun as the kids doing...
The "Kitchen Table Classroom" is a great book for HS ideas. My 4 yr old really likes the toothpick group counting. She also likes learning with money. We play pretend shopping with pennies and nickles and have the girls do the math for it. There are many fun ways to learn math.
Liking preschool and kindergarten - even liking recess does not make all of school a good fit for everybody. There are many reasons to HS. I would reexamine all the reasons you want to HS and decide which is best for you and your child. A pros and cons list can really help here. You need to sort out what the benifits of each are and make a choice. Yes she can have an opinion on it - but I don't think she gets to make the whole decision. JMO. My dd did try school - it...
Well I just wanted to let you know that teaching to read and encouraging reading are two seperate things. And each school has its own "best" way of approaching this. If they can't agree on how it is done - then you shouldn't worry over how you do it. My daughter was in kindergarten in ps last year - she could read (in context) but couldn't read the sight words in small print from a list. She was told she couldn't read. I had to show her that she knew all those words...
It sounds like you know him very well. Homeschooling can fit any schedule, any method. And the panic attacks and stress he is getting is real. My daughter had it too - her it was in kindergarten! the physical symptoms are due to chemical imbalances such as cortizone levels and adrenaline, etc. These do effect your blood pressure, your heart, your brain, etc. I would suggest helping him with relaxation exercises, deep breathing, possibly even yoga. Even martial arts can...
The clerk at a game board store asked what types of games we were interested in. I replied that they had to be educational. She wanted to know what age my kids were (they were at the mall's playground with my dh) so I replied that age didn't really matter since they are homeschooled. She replied with "That is so great! They won't lose their interest in LIFE and learning!"