or Connect

Posts by m&m

I just wanted to say that it is my dd CHOICE - she has been begging me all year to HS. And the only part of PS she says she will miss is recess (where she played with only one other girl in the forested area). It is a valid point that moms may miss certain aspects of the school system, and still choose otherwise.
Well I live in Vancouver am am new to the HS community here... but I wanted to mention that I grew up in a small town in the prairies and my parents live in a smaller rural community. I love that my kids will get the small town feeling when they visit. They spend their time watching nature, playing in the creeks, playing cards, doing crafts, and never watch a clock (almost). The freedom is wonderful. Their attitudes are never of boredom. (maybe when they will be teenagers...
well I know my paretns would be insulted if I even hinted at leaving money or paying them. But that is just them. My parents drove down 12 hours, picked up the kids and took them back to their place for 2 weeks this summer. We had to rent a car and drive down there to pick them up - so they felt that this was a fair trade of travel expenses. We bought them a gift of some solar panel lights (it was mom's bday too) and they kept saying that we didn't need to get...
HS doesn't have to be expensive, or even workbooks. Pick a theme or topic that interest DC and yourself (enthusiasm makes teaching easier) and start from there. Think of every type of learning based on that topic. and voila! HS. for example we just got a kitten so Sept's theme will be on cats. We will read about cats both fiction and non-fiction, we will draw cats, play games, group pictures of them, learn their history, learn the basic breeds and where they...
Well since we've moved away from friends and family - and since I was the only one of my friends with kids. i just naturally spent more time at home. Although dh says I spend too much time at home - because I have the freedom to go anywhere with the kids, and we most often chose to do things at home. (maybe it has something to do with my anxiety?) who knows? I used to be an extrovert (which new findings show that this means I can tolerate more social stimuli - not...
well we don't own a car - sold it 2 years ago. But it does deter us from renting one. Which we do on occasion (a few times per year).
well personally, if I had written "this is one of the reasons / or this is why I homschool" it is not a put down of someones else's choice of PS just an empathic type of showing understanding. Saying this is one of those situations which I dealt with, or which I feared would have to deal with. Although I can see how it could come accross as rude. Kinda like someone going to a parenting forum and saying "this is why I chose not to have kids" or something. I think the...
Well I think the choice of number of kids is a very personal one, and a big one. There are so many factors involved. For us - we chose to have two. At first we wanted four. We decided on having our kids within 3 years of each other, which is part of the reason we decided that 2 was enough. Financial reasons, and also the family dinamic being so wonderful also came into play. That said. I am HS both - and they are each other's best friends. They do still have...
Still a beginner belly dancer, took 2 classes 1 with an ecclectic feel, one more fitness style (less routine). I still do some videos on my own, but have not taken a class in a while. Might do so again soon though as I don't even feel like I'm working out while I'm dancing.
enthusiam is really contagious - so much so that it is hard to hae your kids not be influenced by your passions, or other people they know. But that is ok, they will take from everyone and find what they like in it too. But it does kind of give you an incentive to start introducing the subjects that you love too. As for having to "teach" boring stuff. I understand the concern. I failed geography terribly - and it happens to be one of my dd interests. So I am trying to...