or Connect

Posts by SquirelNutkin

Hi- My daughter just turned 10 and has started to loose confidendce in herself. I wasn't prepared for this! i thought it would start much later, though I remember it starting at this age for myself. We homeschool, and I allow her as much independence and decision making over her life as reasonable (I dont think I would be considered a helicopter parent.) However, I wonder if we praise her enough. My husband and I and my parents vere to the critical side of things. In our...
I have a 3 year old (4 in November) and a 6 year old (7 in Oct.) who I want to transition into their own beds in the same room (loft bed). We are moving houses (same town) this month and think it would be a good time to change beds as well. Right now, the 3 year old has to fall asleep with me next to him, but the 6 yr. doesnt, but needs some cuddle time. I don't want them sleeping in the same bed, because they need different amounts of sleep, and I don't think they would...
Hi- My daughter is nearly 10 yrs. Would be finishing 3rd grade if we were in school. We ahve been working at Right Start Math, and a workbook. So, she has learned to recite mutliples of most numbers, and to visalize multipication, adn practiced drills a lot However, she is ahving a hard time just memorizing them. I memorized the times tables, and still remember them. I think it is a great skill. How do you recommend she practice to memorize them? What makes this...
Do you think JumpStart 1st G will be too hard for a kid who is just learning to read? I saw teh JumpStart K at the store- but that was way too easy. We are at a hard "in between" place. The store didnt have 1st Grade, so I didnt get to compare. thanks brenda
Hi- Im looking for some reasonably priced, not annoying, good activities software for my 1st grader boy who is learning to read. I would love to get math, science or reading. I have looked at Reading Rabbit- but not seen it. It looks a bit annoying. Study Dog CDs are pretty expensive for me, though I love the activities- very grounded. We have a computer, so I am not interested in leapfrog products. I am not looking to replace curriculum, just to give him somethign...
Hi- I realize this is hormonal, but I dont know what to do about it. I feel sickest while I ovulate, verses PMS. During PMS, I get crabby for a day- and thats it. (I realize I am lucky on this front) But, when I am ovulating, or close- I feel like I do right before I get a migraine- nauseous, off balance, sensitive to lighte, sensitive to food, unfocused- and this makes me crabby. I eat well and drink water. I homeschool my kids- so I am not sitting down all...
In the past- I have made these out of flannel or flannel baby blankets. However, they get rough with so many washings within 6 m to a year. What would be a better option? Would fleece work>? better flannel? What did you use? thanks brenda
We are making coupons for the kids for christmas this year, instead of another bought gift. Most of the usualideas dont relate to our more laid back life- like being able to stay up late, play a game with mom, etc. I figured that all the smart HS moms on mothering might have some great HS coupons for ages 9,6, and 3. thanks brenda
Hi- I only recently got a dishwasher (2 years ago). But, now that I want to go back to washing dishes by hand (save water and energy), I suspect my old method was a waster. I would simply run waster and wash and rinse at the same time. Does a better way include 01 tub of rinse and one of soap? How do I calculate how much water I am using, and how much energy- maybe my dishwasher is coparable (It is an energy star). So, if I am using the same amount of water with...
I was thinking bird feeder. YOud have to drill some holes in it, but for some thats do able. (not me) My daughter would love it to paint (acrylic) on and make into a flower vase. If you are super crafty, you could cut off the top in a curvy shape, and sand it down, Paint with large dots.- make it look all Ikea. Post a picture when you do re-use it!