or Connect

Posts by aloneinid

Baby Braatens Mama- I was in your DDC and it is nice to see a familiar name!  I was just thinking this morning that I can't believe we are going on six months already!  I have worked at home doing medical transcription since my oldest son was two months old- he is now 6.5.   I did have previous in-office experience when I got my job at a local internist's office.  I previously worked about 20-30 hours a week doing their transcription, which also included picking...
At this age, an infant is still waking at night due to hunger!  Co-sleeping or not really won't matter if your baby is hungry.  Also, I think our expectations can sometimes be skewed. My oldest child woke up to nurse every 45-90 minutes until he was nearly two years old.  He moved into a co-sleeper attached to my bed at 2.5, a toddler bed in my room at 3.5, and his own bed in his own room at 5.  My second child nursed every three hours around the clock until he weaned at...
Four days. Midwife said they'd be gone after three days. At 14 days I would contact my care provider.
My first thought is reflux. Most people think that you can't have reflux without heartburn, but it is called "silent" reflux and a sore throat and/or cough can be your only symptom. You can try an OTC antireflux medication and see if your cough clears or go ahead and see a doctor about it. Check Dr. Hale's web site to see which medication is okay when nursing (although I think most of them are, i.e. Prilosec, Zantac). I have a lot of experience with this since...
I have an odd observation about amber teething bracelets (mine by Finn, too). I used one on my DS2 when he was an infant and after wearing it for several days he began to have black colored wax from the ear on the same side that he was wearing the bracelet. I took it off and the wax cleared, put it back on and the wax redeveloped. I then switched the bracelet to the other side and the wax developed in THAT ear. It was so bizarre, but I took the bracelet off and it...
La Leche League. The friends I made after my oldest son was born six years ago are still my best- as a matter of fact we just finished eating a dinner dropped off by one of them and they will be bringing me dinner all week!
We're just using what we used for our first two boys since everything is still in great shape. (Looks brand new, actually!) Chinese prefolds with Snappis and an assortment of covers. Bummis are still my favorite. I have several wool covers, but am tired of the special treatment they need and if they get ruined at this point I am just setting them aside. My Bumpy wool covers have held up great even with accidental trips through the washer so I would recommend those if...
I am trying binding this time, too, as I have really flabby abdominal muscles after I give birth and this is my last baby. I bought a Baboosh binder and tried wearing it about 24 hours after I had my baby, but was way too uncomfortable to keep it on (stitches, hemorrhoids, engorged breasts, etc.), plus I had to use the toilet every hour and it was too hard to take on and off. I started wearing it again at day 10 and think I can manage it now. After just a couple of days...
Raising your Highly Spirited Child by Kurcinka was a godsend for me, too!
All of the above suggestions are great, and I feel for you because our oldest had "colic" and was SOOOO hard to take care of. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing ever did help. Now we now that his behavior was due to his overall personality and that nothing we could have done would have fixed the colic. I just want to put that out there in case you find yourself in our situation. I literally spent an entire year trying out all of the PPs suggestions and asking every single...