or Connect

Posts by Violet500

My dd 6 is big on hiding what she knows lol. Santa brought her a recorder for Xmas. She openly ignored my instruction on how to play and then later demonstrated she has it all down. She's having a tough time coordinating her fingers and completely covering the holes, otherwise she would already be playing songs. Although my dad said she played Mary had a little lamb for him, no idea when she managed to learn that. So far so good on introducing her to music. Piano lessons...
My approach on this would be to say I'm sad I can't read to her anymore and ask if she would let me read to her after we pretended to read.
My dd has been flubbing answers on purpose since Pre-K so she can 'be like the other kids.' She fights me on reading b/c her peers aren't reading, yet she can read at the 4th grade level.   Anyway, by complete chance, I ran into Dr. Sylvia Rimm who is a world renowned expert on giftedness and I asked her about the dumbing down.   (While I was likely gifted, I was never one to hide it or be afraid of looking smart so my DD's behavior is all that more alien to...
BTDT!   It's so hard when they are little little b/c there just aren't resources and they're really too young to test and even if you could test them, there are no formal programs for gifted toddlers.   My experience, these kids need lots of experiences. It doesn't have to be structured learning but make sure you're going to the zoo, the musuems, local events, library story time, music concerts etc... Lots of high quality input.   At home, find great books to read...
I was here before but I guess I forgot my sign in or hadn't been on the forum in so long I was deleted.   I have one DD, 6 and we're hosting an exchange student right now too.   Our biggest parenting issue right now is DD is gifted and we're trying to figure out WTH we need to do for her.
My kiddo is gifted (we just did the formal assessment today as we're applying to a chartered school for gifted kids) and in kindy.   The kindy good: She has friends, she is very social, she is learning the structure of a school day (which has its pros and cons but still is part of life). In terms of 'newness' this year isn't too boring for her, even though the academics are mindless.   The kindy bad: No differentiation. None. Nada zip. Go be bored in the corner, kid....