or Connect

Posts by ollijsmama

My ds's score is 163. We just got a "mild AS" diagnosis last week. Now I really want to read this book - I'm curious about the subtypes.
FWIW - I called Dr. Woodruff's office a while ago after getting a recommendation (thanks again, Fay) and they were extremely helpful. I had some questions and Dr. Woodruff actually got on the phone to talk to me (I was shocked, but in a good way). After talking with me about my son and my concerns, he referred me to... Dr. Solomon. We actually have an appointment with Dr. Solomon on Thursday. I was feeling pretty good about it - I'd heard some good things from other...
sorry - no advice, but I'm right there with you. Specifics somewhat different but dynamic very similar between my 4.5yo ds and 2yo dd. Just re-requested Siblings w/o Rivalry through the library. I read it when I was pregnant w/ dd - like I'd remember anything by time I actually needed it... Kerry
Hi, I've also read Kohn, and I understand his concern to be praise that is used (consciously or unconsciously) as positive reinforcement. So its okay to praise your child for an achievement, as long as your good feelings are genuine and you have no ulterior motive. The problem is when you have an underlying or overt goal of influencing future behavior with the praise. I like "you did it!" and other simple non-judgment statements for my toddler dd's everyday successes....
We are just in the diagnosis process with ds, but we are considering homeschooling (we were thinking about it before we had any idea he had developmental issues). I love the idea and many days I think it would be in his best interest, but am deeply intimidated. I'm not sure I'm up to it.
I appreciate the feedback. Good advice about making sure that they are used to dealing with higher functioning kids. DS is one of those kids you have to know to see the issues. Even his grandparents were initially unwilling to accept that his behavior and issues weren't typical (of course my MIL thought/thinks its a parenting issue - not on board with the AP/GD at all...) That was our ped's problem, mainly. Once we really started discussing the issues and the school eval...
A few months ago my 4.5 yr old ds was evaluated for an IEP by school staff. They concluded he "fit the criteria" for ASD. He is high functioning, maybe AS, definitely some SID. Initially my dh and I felt we should give it a year or so (with the therapy and assistance the school system would provide) before deciding whether we should pursue an official diagnosis. After learning more, we've decided not to wait, as we feel we should be starting any therapy he needs sooner,...
So, I have an infant seat and base sitting in my living room that is too old to pass along, consign, etc. I hate the idea of it going into a landfill, and am not having much luck with local recycling companies/organizations. Anybody got any ideas? kerry
Hello Leila!!! Congratulations to Mama, baby and the whole family! kerry
Our little Lucy was born at 8:05 pm on 7/27 after 2 hrs of labor and about 5 minutes of pushing. We had planned a hospital birth with a CNM, but instead I caught my own baby, unassisted, in the front passenger seat of my car as we pulled into the hospital parking lot. My doula, who is also a homebirth mw, was coaching and soothing from the backseat and DH was trying not to drive off the road ... it just went a whole lot faster than we expected! We just got home a while...