or Connect

Posts by Binduspire

Do you let your kids run barefoot?   I was in the park, down by the water, with a friend and her little one, and she wouldn't let him take off his shoes because he hasn't been vaxed for tetanus.  He was crying because he wanted to run barefoot on the pebbles, and into the stream.     I felt sad.   I wouldn't let my kid go barefoot in many obvious situations, but I think if he wants to go barefoot by the stream, and walk on the pebbles, then I might let him at least...
This has been a really great discussion.  I've taken the last few days to catch up on the reading!  Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses.  I love this community because I learn from so many people.  
For some reason, I wasn't receiving notifications through my email, so I had no idea that so many of you responded.  I've read all of your comments, and I really appreciate them.  It has been a stressful time, but I think I'm feeling better about my decision moving forward.   I drafted a letter to the neighbors' last week, that explained how hurt I was that they had never come to visit my son, or called to see how he was.  At the end, I proposed dropping the claim, if they...
I am in a moral quandry.  My son, who turns 2 in May, suffered second and third degree burns on various parts of his body after tripping into an ash pile in our neighbor's yard.  We are living with my family right now, so when I say "our" house, I mean "my parents' house."     I watched it happen.  Our neighbor's have an opening into their back-yard where there's no fencing.  All of the kids run along this fence-line.  My sister's kids had come over to play with the...
Thank-you!   I have bookmarked those links for later reading :)
I would like to know whether the correct emergency burn protocol involves submerging the burn in water, or running the burn under cold water.  I've seen conflicting information.  Dr. Sears recommends submersion, but others say that this can both cause shock as well as further damage to the burn.  I used the running under cold water method this weekend on my son's hands, and am now mortified that I didn't do the same to his leg.  At the time, I scanned him as quickly as...
I had a conversation with a speech therapist the other day about child development, and we ended up on the topic of television.  I told her that my son watches very little television, and it is usually only when he is at his grandparents' house with his cousins, and one of the older kids puts in a movie.  The last time I tried to take him out of the room while the rest of them had their juices and snacks on the couch, it was a disaster, and I ended up letting him watch...
Thanks, rubelin.     I actually think that sleep might be part of this problem.  The times that he has had the really bad tantrums were when we were sort of off-schedule, or out for a longer period of time.  Sometimes I forget how little he really is, and how sensitive he might be to his own sleep and routine rhythm.     I am doing what you mentioned, and trying to just take one event at a time.  If we have a few fun hours, it really takes the stress off.  It's those...
As the title suggests, I feel like I'm at the end of my rope.  My son turns two in May.  He woke up at 5 a.m. this morning, and I thought he wanted his bottle, but apparently not, because he threw it at me, then proceeded to throw all his stuffed animals from the crib.  When I let him out of the crib, he went on a wild-man rampage, throwing toys, throwing my tote bag, then grabbing a flashlight I had nearby since we lost power during all the storms. I was pelted in the...
I'm a teacher but I've been home with my son since he was a baby.  There's a possibility that I'll be teaching in September.  Are there any moms or teachers here that felt any concerns when changing environments?  In other words, how much more of a risk is my son exposed to if I'm a full-time teacher, or if he's in a toddler program at the same school?  It concerns me, but then I look at how we navigate in this world, already.  We go to music classes, parks, swings,...