or Connect

Posts by spklvr

I do understand some cases of homeschooling, such as the kid being bullied or having learning disabilities the school doesn’t have the capacity to deal with. However, when I hear about homeschooling perfectly intelligent and social kids, I get confused. Of course, homeschooling isn’t actually legal in my country, so I don’t have experience with it first hand, but thinking about my own daughter, that would be torture for her. She is very social and wants to make friends all...
I'm so glad I don't live in the US. Kids under 18 driving by themselves does not sound like a good idea to me. Not to mention, after hearing about how your driving tests are conducted, it's kind of a joke compared to how strict they are in my country. That I passed on my first try is practically unheard of.
So, this was a post I stumbled upon on a different forum. It was a 17 year old girl saying she had a big argument with her father because she is a vegetarian, and refuse to cook meals with meat in them for her family (but is perfectly willing to cook vegetarian dishes for them). Her father apparently even told her she should move out if she didn’t respect the rules in their home. Now, I understand that teenagers often remember the situation differently than what it...
So I am an adult with this problem, and to be honest, even though a lot of people have tried to help and come with suggestions, in the end, I just had to figure it out on my own. I can't take whistling and whispering (most people create an ssss sound when whispering), and in high school I had a teacher with a weird lisp that bothered me so much I had to switch classes. Chewing and "kissing" noises bother me too. My close friends are aware of this and respect me enough to...
When does he fall asleep? When is his actual bedtime? Does he nap during the day? Is he tired when he wakes up in the morning?   My daughter recently had this problem because napping during the day resulted in not being able to fall asleep at night, and because she couldn't fall asleep at night, she had to nap during the day, and ended up not being sleepy at night... evil circle. I spent a weekend just keeping her busy all day and at night she fell asleep like a log, and...
So, this feels a bit more like a rant than a question, but I'm pretty certain there is a question in here somewhere ...   I’m kind of curious if this is important to people, and why. A lot of the moms I know are very strict about their children eating with them, and I don’t really get it. Of course, in my house, it’s just my daughter and I, so we’ll more often than not eat while she’s watching TV and I’m watching something on Netflix next to her. So this isn’t exactly...
My 4-year-old daughter is oddly fascinated by cooking. I’m hoping it will stick so that we’ll have a chef in the family. She always helps me when I cook, and she loves getting to put the ingredients in. She is actually almost capable of making pancake batter on her own (some troubles handling heavy flour bags aside). I was also of a fairly young age when I started cooking by myself, maybe 8 or so. Not exactly complicated dishes, but I never burned or cut myself.
Seriously? Even as an agnostic/atheist, I would feel offended if someone compared a child's belief in Santa to religious beliefs (which people actually DO believe in). Those beliefs I have taught my daughter to respect.
Is there a particular reason why your son is homeschooled? I hope I’m not sounding rude when I say this. It’s not legal in my country, so it’s a concept I have trouble grasping. It just sounds like being able to be around other kids and make other friends would help him a lot, and do so he doesn’t have to be with this kid. Anyway, it’s a difficult situation. From experience, it’s actually better to just stay away from people like this than confront them. It tends to cause...
My daughter was/is very picky about vegetables (but will eat fruit and berries until she throws up). What I found to help was making her choose four vegetables she would accept. We made kind of a game out of it. Bought one of almost every vegetable that exists to figure out which ones she is okay with eating, and the rest she doesn't have to eat. She chose broccoli, cauliflower, peas and raw carrots. She will also eat asparagus, because apparently it's the same as...