or Connect

Posts by NYCVeg

A third option that hasn't been mentioned: seeing if there is financial aid available at the Montessori that your daughter loved (or another private school that might be a better fit for her). It wouldn't solve the problem immediately, but maybe you could move her next year.
NWOT Hanna Andersson three-piece outfit, size 110, skirt, top, and jacket Skirt and mock turtleneck both washed but not worn; blazer/jacket not washed or worn Hot pink Hanna kneesocks included for free Asking $50 for all three pieces   Please PM with interest
Two beautiful NWOT Hanna sundresses (washed but never worn); sundresses can also become skirts by tucking in the bodice. Size 120; because of cut, can likely fit most size 110 girls as well Asking $20 each or $35 for both.    Please PM me with interest.   Note: Color in picture is slightly off: the dress that looks purple is more like a fuschia.
Exactly. I don't give up my seat on the subway to a pregnant woman or small child because I "have to"; I do it because it's the right thing to do. Likewise, I don't eat on the bus or let my kid run around with food and make a mess of public playgrounds--not only because of food allergies, but because I don't see why other children should have to play in my child's mess.    No one has suggested that those who don't take allergy precautions are "baddies." Allergies are...
I didn't mean to suggest that you were saying vaccines were to blame for all allergies, and I certainly know that allergies, like autism, are complicated and not easily or simply explained. I was only offering some critique of the book itself. 
I know of the book, but one of the problems with it is that it talks about the "peanut allergy epidemic" as though there aren't epidemics of OTHER allergies. If the problem is peanut oil in the vaccines, then does the author mean to suggest that there is also undisclosed soy, wheat, fish, shellfish, dairy, and tree nuts in vaccines? And, of course, this doesn't explain the presence of food allergy--including the unusual, severe "combination" food allergies like my...
My daughter, who has about 10 severe food allergies (6 of the top eight, plus a bunch of other foods) is not vaccinated. There are many unvaccinated children with food allergies. And while peanuts get much of the press, there are eight "big" food allergens in the US. Vaccines do use eggs/albumin, but there are no other food products in them. 
The most common allergens in any culture tend to be the foods that are consumed most frequently. The top eight in the US--peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, fish, shellfish--are all foods that are consumed in abundance. In the Middle East, sesame allergy is much more prevalent than it is elsewhere, because sesame is a much more commonly consumed food. Fish and shellfish are more common allergens in Asia than wheat and nuts, and certain fruits (stone fruits and...
Yes, sesame oil is usually unrefined and therefore is much more likely to cause allergies in sesame-allergic people. Certainly, individuals can react to nut oils, particularly cold-pressed nut oils. This thread was about caring with others with food allergies and my point was that eating or handling food cooked in peanut oil is far, far less likely to cause an allergic reaction in most allergic individuals than peanuts themselves. 
Actually, peanut oil is not necessarily or even usually an allergen for peanut-allergic kids, and many allergists/doctors will say that heat-pressed peanut oil is fine for those with peanut allergy. Because oil is 100% fat, theoretically there should be no peanut protein in it. Cold-pressed peanut oil, like the kind you would buy in the health food store, is problematic, because its processing does not remove all traces of peanut protein; but restaurants that cook in...