or Connect

Posts by NYCVeg

I live in a big city and I leave my dd (5) at classes all the time. And this is a reading group supervised by a librarian? I can't even imagine why it would be strange to leave a 9 year old in that situation.       
I think the important thing is that you simply honor your children's desire to express themselves and be who they are--whether that's through clothing or other choices. If you find dresses easier to manage, and your daughters aren't complaining, I see no reason to worry about buying them dresses. I do think that having age-appropriate conversations about what dresses "signify" can be useful.    Dd refuses to wear jeans or any pants that button. So she's pretty much...
MrsGregory, I wanted to recommend the book "It's Not the Stork" and the follow-ups ("It's So Amazing" and "It's Perfectly Normal").    I did not have the kind of upbringing you had--I had parents who were very open and non-judgmental when it came to sex, as well as a good sex ed program in (private) school. However, my dh and I still had some trouble finding age-appropriate language to discuss sex with my daughter. We've read "It's Not the Stock" with her a few times...
I'm so sorry for your loss.   I am no expert, so I hope others will chime in, but I imagine that it's probably confusing for your nephew to hear that daddy is in heaven and never to hear that he's died. When my dd was three, her thinking was very concrete, so I'm sure she would have just thought "heaven" was a place and not understood why someone would have have left her to go there, why he wouldn't come back, and why she wouldn't visit. When my dd was not quite...
Yep, we've got one of those, too. When she was a toddler, she would talk herself to sleep. We could hear her on the baby monitor, and she would literally fall asleep mid-sentence.   Now, long car trips are the killer for me. She's extremely well behaved--entertains herself well, doesn't whine, doesn't fuss. By all usual measures, she's an angel. But she talks the. whole. time. As sweet as it is hearing what's going on in her mind, being in an enclosed space like...
I wish I had known what the signs of PPD were and that one could have a severe case of PPD even without any history of depression/mental health issues. I probably did "know" this intellectually, but my first months with my child might have been much easier had I known what the heck was going on with me.    I wish I had known some of the signs of food allergy in a breastfed baby and had trusted my gut more that something wasn't quite right. (My child has very severe...
We do keep sweets in the house--plain chocolate, maybe some Dum Dums lollipops, and cookies (dd has lots of allergies, so it's generally stuff like Annie's gluten-free bunny cookies). Dd is allowed one "treat" a day--and she can pick what and when. In the summer, she usually likes to get a popsicle from the ice cream truck when we're out at the park. Otherwise, it might be a few Hershey's kisses, a serving of cookies, or a pouch of Annie's organic fruit snacks. We make...
We shop at lots of local toys stores locally and where my parents live and I've NEVER seen behavior like that. Sometimes I think dd is being too touchy-feely with stuff, and the clerks almost always go out of their way to tell me it's fine for her to touch things! Honestly, letting the kids gently handle stuff is good for business--I can't tell you how many times grandma has purchased a toy b/c dd picked it up and seemed fascinated by it.
Yes, I found myself totally unable to answer that question. I don't get information on milk from ANY of those sources--my information comes mostly from books on nutrition/health and peer-reviewed scientific research. I guess that might count as "media," but certainly not television or popular media. If the survey-writer was trying to get info on how useful those particular sources were to parents, it would make more sense to weigh EACH source on a scale (so they could all...
My dd goes to progressive, arts-centered elementary school. Most of the boys have "shaggy" hair at the very least and many, many boys have very long hair (past the shoulders or further down the back). Most of the long-haired boys just leave it down and loose. If your kid likes it/isn't complaining about it, then I don't see any reason to change it.    Honestly, I really don't think it's anyone's business how your child wears his hair. As for people saying that long...