or Connect

Posts by NYCVeg

Dd 5, gets a bath twice a week or so in the winter, more often in the summer (the sunblock/sweat/sand/chlorine combo is just disgusting). She has very dry skin and is prone to eczema and her skin looks much, much better if she doesn't bathe too much. We wash hair once or twice a week--again, it looks and feels much healthier than if we did it more.    FWIW, EVERY doctor/midwife/etc. I've been to has emphasized the importance of keeping soaps off the genital area to...
Yeah, I really don't get why there would be a risk of kids getting held back for 10 absences if they keep up with the work. There are a million reasons why a child might miss that much a week or two of school--chicken pox, surgery, family emergency, any kind of contagious or long-lasting illness.
Dd is 5 and this is the first year that we've let her have free reign over her candy. (Well, all the candy she's not allergic to--we buy the allergenic stuff from her at ten cents a piece). I've been very impressed with how she's handled it, actually. She's definitely eating a little more than we'd normally allow her, but she's not going overboard--she'll have a few pieces after school, after a healthy snack, and maybe one more piece after dinner. She has to give up...
We moved across the country when I was 5 and then again when I was 14 (in the middle of my freshman year of high school). Honestly, neither was especially traumatic. I think I did raise a bit of a fuss before the high school move, but it ended up working out fabulously for me--I went to a fantastic school that was actually a far better fit for me and made friends quickly. Two weeks after I started at my new school, I was thrilled that we had moved!   We moved to a...
Thanks so much! These look perfect. (And TiredX2, we're definitely "body positive"!)
We have a highly verbal, intelligent 5-year-old. She's been asking some "where do babies come from" type questions lately and I feel like...we're just not answering effectively. I believe strongly in giving her correct and honest information , but I'm having trouble gauging the amount of info that's appropriate for this particular query. FWIW, we're not at all squeamish about sex or body parts here--we call things by their proper names, dd knows about menstruation and...
It's never done any place I've lived. I've mentioned this before on MDC and people have been shocked--but we've attended dozens and dozens of kiddie parties, and gifts have never been opened at the party.    ETA: And thank-you notes are of course always sent out!
This can be true, but isn't always. I think it depends very much on the children. I lived far away from family growing up, but built several, lifelong, family-type relationships with school friends and friends of the family. My partner grew up in very close proximity to his cousins and spent a significant amount of time with them, but does not have important relationships with them as an adult (he is very, very different from them--and the bonds he formed with friends...
Yup, really. I don't know, maybe this is a regional thing.   
I agree with everyone above. Re. the gift opening: we've been to several dozen children's birthday parties over the last few years and I have NEVER seen anyone do gift opening at the party. It's boring for the other kids and can cause hurt feelings and other problems. For a one year old, it can be incredibly overwhelming to open a stack of gifts with an audience and it will also be incredibly SLOW. Skip it, and don't feel bad for a moment.