or Connect

Posts by NYCVeg

Nope--sorry. Nothing left from this thread.
I just wanted to add that I think the question of toys/imagination/overstimulation is SO dependent on the child. Certainly, I know some kids who get overwhelmed in a room packed with toys. My dd is not like that at all. Her imagination seems to thrive when she's surrounded by different objects to bring into her creative play. She does have a lot of toys--mostly purchased by her grandparents--and she's an incredibly creative 5yo. She can spend, quite literally, hours on...
I also think you're overreacting a bit. My parents are like this as well. They are ALWAYS getting new toys for their house (for all the grandkids, actually). I can hardly think of a time when grandma took dd that dd didn't come back with something (most recently: a raincoat; several books and sticker books from; a special drinking mug--all on separate occasions). My mom is firmly of the opinion that, while parents can "spoil" children, grandparents cannot. I resisted...
Dd has a rash on her arms and legs. It started with a few patches on her thighs and wrist. Now she has little bumps on her arms, and the upper part of her legs, plus a tiny patch on one cheek. They are small, raised bumps, only slightly pinker than her skins--like little pimples, but no white dot in the center. She's very mildly itchy. At first we thought it was an allergic reaction, because she had quite severe food allergies, but Benadryl hasn't done...
I bf dd for 19 months and never pumped. We had a million bfing problems, but none of them would have been helped by pumping. It meant that for the first year or so (she was barely interested in solids until then), she pretty much stuck with me--she could 2-3 hours with another caregiver, but then would need to eat. I also used a mother's helper, and I would just stop whatever I was doing and nurse the dd if she needed it, and then hand her back. My partner was hugely...
I expect my 5 yo to sit properly in her chair/booth (no lying down, no climbing, etc.), to talk in an indoor voice, and not to play with any of the silverware, etc. at the table. Basically, I expect her not to 1) disturb the other diners or 2) make a lot of extra work for the waitstaff (making messes, etc.).    Because she has significant food allergies, we bring her own meal wherever we go, whether it's a diner or an upscale restaurant. She can eat whenever she...
Another book you might want to check out: http://www.amazon.com/Blessing-Skinned-Knee-Teachings-Self-Reliant/dp/1416593063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313705584&sr=8-1   Although it's written from a Jewish perspective, it responds to modern helicopter parenting in ways that are relevant to everyone. (Read some of the reviews.)
Given that this is a charter school, are you even sure it will be an issue? Isn't part of the point of charter schools that they can pull kids from all over, instead of just the local district around the school? The school may be located in a ritzier area, but the students may be socio-economically diverse. This is certainly the case in my area, at least.
I'm sorry that people that being rude to you; certainly, you know what it is best for your family.    But in your post, I see the stereotypes working both ways. While 6+ weeks away at camp might be wrong for your child, people who allow their children to do such things are not necessarily "pushing their kids away." There are many kids who are eager and ready for such experiences and aren't trying simply to dump their kids. I went to boarding school. I was an...
I've never had a problem--not with school, health insurance, anything. Honestly, this is so, so common that I can't imagine you'd have any difficulties. Around here (Northeastern US), no one assumes that my last name is the same as dh's. The only people who call me Mrs. HisLastName are telemarketers and a few of dh's elderly relatives who can't fathom the idea that a woman might not take her spouse's name!