or Connect

Posts by NYCVeg

I think people are very quick to attribute any stand-out behavior in a child to what they perceive as that child's "differences."   My dd (5) was at a class party the other day. All the kids were over-excited (it was pre-K "graduation"), over-sugared, over-tired. There was a lot of jostling over toys and playground equipment and lots of tears. At one point, dd came over to me, upset, because she wanted a turn on a swing and another kid was pushing her. After I sent...
I think that, as a parent, it's your job to communicate boundaries to your sitter. If you don't want the sitter to bathe your kid, say so. If you don't want to the sitter to use particular art supplies say so. Every household runs differently, and the sitter has no idea how your household runs unless you tell her. Don't waffle or hedge the issues: just tell her exactly what you want and everyone will be happier.   I assume that dd may get messy when with a sitter...
Hey, mamas. I just need to post because I am SEETHING with anger.    We were at a "preschool graduation" party for my dd's class at school. Dd woke up insanely early this morning (a quarter to five--she normally sleeps until 6:30/7), so by the late afternoon, she was completely exhausted and edgy. All of the kids were pretty overwrought, in fact--the hype of graduation, lots of sugar, end of the day, etc. The party was in someone's backyard--tons of kids, very small...
There are also many premade gluten-free pizza crusts that you can purchase at Whole Foods and other speciality stores (as well as online). We sometimes use Chebe brand pizza dough for dd, who has a life-threatening allergy to wheat. It's certainly nothing like regular pizza dough, but it has some good Italian spices in it and tastes decent.
I absolutely don't think that one has to learn numbers or letters in a preschool setting. I never said I did. My daughter learned most of her numbers and letters at home. But when I went back to work and she was in full-time preschool, numbers and letters were also part of the day-to-day life of her preschool. My point was simply that I think there is nothing WRONG with reinforcement/learning of those concepts in a classroom setting, especially if the reinforcement is...
  I don't know--numbers and letters, just like colors, foods, shapes, and other categories of things, are simply part of a child's world. My dd is/was interested in learning about numbers because the knowledge helps her to navigate life. She can help me cook if she knows what I mean when I tell her to get 3 apples or measure a teaspoon of vanilla. Knowing how to count things helps her to understand and categorize and make judgments about what she sees. She's able to play...
As seen in this photo: http://www.dollyrose.co.uk/store/nursery/toys/rag-dolls/girls-at-play-rag-doll.html   The doll is brand new. 
In case this hasn't been posted yet:    PBS interactive map of gender-diverse cultures: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/two-spirits/map.html
Edited to remove sold.
I think maybe you're overthinking things a bit. Why not just be honest? "For dd's birthday, we didn't want to do a party this year, but we thought it might be fun to have a playdate with a few friends at the lake. Would you like to come?"