or Connect

Posts by NYCVeg

Are there local parks that have a decent amount of shade? The closet parks to us have no shade at all, but in the summer we drive a little farther to one that is almost completely shaded. We also try to play outside first thing in the morning or after dinner--it might still be pretty hot, but the sun is less strong. Our local mall also has an indoor playspace where the little ones can run off some energy. Although we don't frequent them too much, I know a lot of people...
I actually thinks this cuts both way. I have seen boys running wild, throwing things, rough-housing with each other and seen the parents shrug it off as "boys will boys." When their girls behave in the same way, the girls are immediately told that they are being too wild, that the behavior is not appropriate, etc. There is a lot of pressure on boys to be "tough," but there is also a lot of pressure on girls to act "like little ladies" and be "nice." I do think it's...
Edited to remove sold items!
There ARE biological differences between the sexes but most of them aren't reflected by what society puts into the "boy" category and the "girl" category. For instance, although boys and girls might differ in how their language and social skills develop, there's no biological basis for girls liking pink (it used to be a "boy color"!) or play kitchens more than boys. My dd's favorite color is blue and she doesn't like playing with baby dolls, and virtually every little...
I also wanted to add that whenever we've used a college sitter (and we've used many, as I said), we always called one or two references before hiring. I found other parents' opinions to be the most reliable predictor of how good the sitter would be. They were always great about answering specific questions--does the sitter clean up after herself/the child, how does she interact with the kids, etc. 
I would definitely fire her, and I would probably be upfront about the fact that you don't think that the way she's interacting with your son is what you were looking for. I don't understand what she thinks she's being paid to do.   We've used many college-age babysitters over the years and some were very introverted with me and DH, but they were ALWAYS extremely talkative/interactive with dd. Their JOB was to play with her! 
  Gorgeous, handmade Peruvian Waldorf doll in perfect condition. Doll is 14” tall, with moveable arms and legs. She’s wearing an undershirt and bloomers, knit skirt and sweater, and knit hat and booties. She has red ribbons in her braids.   Pics: Front: http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/NYCVeg/?action=view¤t=IMG_1864.jpg Back, with ribbons...
Wee bump!
    Tons of stuff! Thanks for looking—sorry about the weird shadows in some of the pics.   Please PM with Interest. If you don’t like my prices, feel free to make an offer. Items are listed under each category in roughly “seasonal” order (warm weather stuff at the top of the list; cool weather stuff at the bottom). Categories are: Hanna Andersson, size 100 Size 2T Size 3T Size 4T Shoes/Accessories (hats, scarves, etc.) FFS with purchase   HANNA...
I don't really understand the idea that biology is what makes this "weird" or "not weird." Would it be weird for an adoptive mother or father to bathe with their young child? What about a non-biological parent in a same-sex relationship? What about a grandmother who is the primary caregiver of a young child? Does it make a difference if the child's bio parents are out of the picture or not? None of these people "made" the child, but I'm not sure that it would be out of...