or Connect

Posts by NYCVeg

Well, after her love affair with Potty the other day, she's been completely uninterested. Sometimes she'll sit on it fully clothed, but that's it. These toddlers are contrary, vexing little creatures. Just wanted to share a funny story. Dd sometimes switches the "C" and "T" sounds when they occur at the beginning of the word (though, oddly, she never does this when they occur medially or terminally). She says the word "truck" as "tock"--except with a "C" sound instead of...
Quote: Originally Posted by wemoon For me, I breastfed, coslept, wore my baby not only because I knew it was good for my kids, but because I'm an extremely lazy mom. Whenever my baby was hungry, everything was right there... no bottles, no carrying a bag filled with feeding supplies. I coslept because I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to feed my baby or to comfort them back to sleep. I couldn't imagine the people that were up all hours of...
Dh is working weekends, so I was thinking it might be fun for me and dd to take some weekend trips to visit family. I don't drive, and the train is around 3 hours each way. I'm trying to decide if I would be insane to do this on my own. Luggage wouldn't be a huge problem--we don't need a carseat (can take public transportation to my parents' or my sister can pick us up in her car, which has the right size carseat) or a stroller (my mom has one for getting her grandkids...
Dd was like that from 12-18 months. She took one nap at 10:30 (woke between 6 and 7, went to bed between 7-7:30). If I needed to, I could push it to 11am some days, but if it got much later, she would refuse to nap, period. I found the morning nap to be a total PITA, because all the toddler activities around here are scheduled before lunch. She just switched to a 1pm nap, and I really like it much better. I'm SO ready for a break then, and we see many more toddlers at...
Dd is only 19 months, so she has a limited range. But I thought this one was funny. Dd: Good job, Grandpa! Me: What did Grandpa do a good job on? Dd (thoughtful for a moment): Grandma!
You could also consider breaking up the MMR--each shot is offered individually. We don't vax, so I don't know a ton about this, but I'm sure you can do a search for other threads.
: Whew, mamas...help me understand what the heck happened tonight. We got dd the Karen Katz "A Potty for Me" book and a Baby Bjorn potty. The book came yesterday, and dd has been very interested in it. We read it a few times yesterday and once or twice this morning. Then her potty came this afternoon. We took it out of the box and she was very excited. She sat on it for a little while in the living room. Then we brought it to the bathroom and she sat on her potty (dipe...
slsurface...just wanted to add: In your OP you said that there was no history of peanut allergy in your family. In your most recent post, however, you mention a number of other allergies (dad is allergic to pumpkins, you are allergic to bees, grandparents are allergic to eggs). Bear in mind that ANY history of ANY allergies in your family dramtically increases your child's risk of food allergies. The *tendency* toward allergies is inherited, not the particular allergies....
Quote: Originally Posted by Britishmum Whenever you do it (and I personally would never do it before the age of three) please take care. You can't rest upon the fact that allergies don't run in your family - many, many kids who have life-threatening allergies have no family history. My ds is one of them. At 15 months he got a smear of peanut butter on his face. That was how we found out he was anaphylactic to peanuts. If he'd tasted some, he would have...
The latest recommendations are that the ONLY thing proven to prevent allergies is bfing--delaying foods and other strategies have not been shown to be effective. Anyway, it doesn't matter when it's "okay" to introduce it--because you introduced it! If he's had it, and he's fine, I wouldn't worry. FTR, my dd is severely food allergic (peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, soy, wheat, sesame, peas, lentils, tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, and everything in the squash family)....