or Connect

Posts by EllasMama

Using a backpack carrier can help distribute the strain some, and I would recommend using a stroller some when you're out and about if you don't already. Personally I just can't carry the baby much after about 4 months old. I did with my DD until she was older, but my back and neck have suffered ever since (at least I keep my chiro busy, LOL!). DD never went in a stroller until she was close to a year old and then she HATED it. So with my DS I've gotten him used to...
Pauline, if your sheets will allow you can firmly shove pillows, turned long-ways, UNDER the fitted sheet to the side(s) of where baby is sleeping. This way it's not so unsafe for them to get up next to the pillow and plus they won't scoot the pillows off and then roll off. Not that that ever happened to my DD . Shortly after that we put the bed on the floor (on the box spring, so it wasn't too excruciatingly low). Will probably do the same once DS starts crawling. I...
For that matter, Dr. Andrew Weil suggested in 8 Weeks to Optimum Health not having ANY electrical appliance within a certain distance (8-10 feet, I think) of your head, b/c of the emissions. So computers would be bad. Also, alarm clocks on the bedside table, hairdryers, etc.
Hi ladies! Pauline, welcome back and hugs re: sleep. A consistent bedtime routine is great to help teach them, but some babies just don't fall/stay asleep easily so you may have one of those (or not). My DD was one of them. When I see my DS and how I can actually nurse him to sleep then lay him down and he stays asleep (or falls right back asleep) I'm perpetually amazed. Ella NEVER did that, and I'm not doing things different. We're still swaddling Oliver, though...
Quote: Originally Posted by winonamom2be Well, you are certainly putting words in my mouth. i think the only thing i ever said was that there are plenty of other options in the world besides watching tv. i also allowed as how lots and lots of perfectly intelligent people watch tv, and said that i didn't like it because i thought it was insipid and hated advertising. i don't think any of my posts "criticized, second-guessed, looked down upon,or...
Quote: Originally Posted by winonamom2be I honestly don't understand why tv-watchers get so defensive about their tv habits when someone says that they don't have tv. All of a sudden, it's "I only watch the discovery channel" or "I love to read, too" or "I have a PhD in nuclear physics". If you really felt fine with the tube and didn't feel like you had anything to be ashamed about, would you rush to defend yourself so quickly? Well, to be...
Very well said, Mummy Marja!!
Quote: Originally Posted by LolaK I'm sorry but did you actually read this previous post? The whole point is that it doesn't matter what kind of show is on the TV, it doesn't have to be some crazy kid show. Yes, I read it. Despite TV, even modest amounts as a baby and child, I can still read! I appreciate what I assume to be your genuine concern, but not everyone feels the same way that you do. I balance the various members of my family's...
Here's my $.02: I guess I'm weighing in with the "whatever gets her through the day" camp. For those who eschew TV, that's great...for you. But you never know how other peoples' lives, and babies, compare to your own, so it's a bit harsh to assume that your way is the best for everyone. In the early weeks, I think it's a rare mom who has enough energy to read or use the computer during ALL the nursing times. TV is a great companion for exhausted moms at 2 am (and 2...
You can use the infant seat safely without the base. We learned our lesson about rental car seats on the trip we took 2 months ago. The infant seat was a very flimsy, uncomfortable, 3-point harness piece of crap. I will NEVER do that again, worried every time we drove (DS was 2 months old) and he cried all the time (he never does that in his normal seat). We've rented boosters for my 5-year-old twice and they've been fine both times, so it never occurred to me that the...