or Connect

Posts by EllasMama

If the swing works, then by all means use it! There's no reason to feel guilty about using something that helps your baby (and therefore helps you!). My first was a horrible sleeper until nearly 3 years old. I refused to try anything like a swing or bouncy seat b/c I wanted to be a "perfect" parent who needed no contraptions. She wouldn't ever go to sleep without elaborate lengths of time being spent walking, bouncing, nursing, etc. I wore myself out completely, and...
I concur that Hanna stuff is great - but wait for sales! They always have tons of great stuff if you get online early after getting a sale announcement via email. Or we live near an outlet, so I frequent it, but of course that's not online. For cloth dipes etc. I really like Babyworks. They are here in Portland and I went to the store in person the other day for the first time (they are mostly catalog/online but have open-to-public store hours). The woman who runs it...
I have only tried the Avent and Nuk, and l'il dude preferred the Nuk by far. But now won't take anything! Good luck, and don't be apologetic - pacifiers have their place and some babies really need and love them!! Carol
BTW, there is a sticky on MDC's postpartum depression board with a link to an online self-assessment for depression. It's nice in some ways to see how your "score" adds up, kind of gives some perspective on how proactive to be about getting help sooner vs later (of course sooner is always theoretically better but let's face it, life doesn't always allow!). hugs
Well, I haven't had the opportunity to visit MDC in a long time so here's my update. Oliver is doing great and (knock on wood) things have been going really well. I joked all during pregnancy that I just wanted a healthy baby and a sleeper. Well, he sleeps! My DD slept "through the night" (5 hours) maybe 3 times before she was ~2.5 years. Seriously. Ollie is the total opposite, at least for now. He has slept a 6-7 hour stretch since 6 weeks old. And then nurses and...
Honeybee'smama, in many ways postpartum depression *is* plain old depression, just during the postpartum period. Not to minimize how "special" it is! One not-so-well-known postpartum mood disorder is basically new mama exhaustion that brings on depressive symptoms. To tell if that's the case, you need people to help you get enough sleep/rest for a couple of days. (Easy-peasy...not!) But it's good to know if sleep is the real issue, b/c then the approach to...
Between baby care, my older DD, and DH working a zillion hours a week (mostly from home - so I can't get on the computer) I just haven't had much chance at all to visit MDC. I'm glad to know about the Feb. babies thread, in case I get more opportunity to be online someday! Hope you all are well and enjoying your little ones. Oliver is doing great and I'm totally loving having a new baby in the house! Carol
Congratulations!!! Sorry to hear about the back pain, but glad everything turned out well. Love her name...enjoy your babymoon!! Carol
Congratulations!!! What a great birth story. She is absolutely adorable, and I love how she was born chattering to her daddy. What a precious memory! Enjoy your babymoon. Warmly, Carol
Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl! I'm sorry labor/birth turned out differently from how you'd hoped. Sounds like it was awfully long and challenging! It's wonderful that you had a great midwife you could truly trust. Though it didn't turn out how you'd planned, a cesarean birth is no less of a birth. You are an amazing mama for trying a HBAC but still knowing when to get more support. Hugs to you as you recover. And here I thought *I* had a big baby...